Putting down deposits at more than one place? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mte84

New

Putting down deposits at more than one place?

Post by mte84 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm

I have been waitlisted at my top choice. For a second choice, my mind is currently split between two schools (I was accepted at both).

Due to circumstances way beyond my control, I will not be able to visit either of the top two schools before first deposits are due... How frowned upon is it to put down a deposit at both places, visit in May and then make a decision?

ruleser

Silver

Re: Putting down deposits at more than one place?

Post by ruleser » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Don't worry about frowns - I did it last cycle, it's ok for the first deposit, it is the second deposit when it is not ok - and when schools can see you are doing this. As long as it is legit that you are really considering both options and just couldn't finalize a decision because you couldn't visit, and will withrdraw from the other after you have, don't see any ethical issue. And schools won't even know since they don't check double-depositing until June - though I doubt they'd be very upset if you explained the situation.

EDIT: Posters below are correct, some schools explicitly don't allow this, so check with particular schools first to be sure.
Last edited by ruleser on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Re: Putting down deposits at more than one place?

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Someone has mentioned that some schools require you to withdraw other applications upon putting down a deposit.

I don't know whether or not this is true, or if it refers to the first deposit or the second. I'd recommend looking into it before putting money down.

I would also recommend talking to the schools and telling them your situation (or at least, telling one school). Maybe they'll make an exception under some sort of circumstances where you can make the deposit after visiting? Maybe not likely, but worth a shot to save a few hundred bucks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”