Which does best outside of the Midwest? ND, WUSTL, Indy, Ill Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which does best in biglaw outside of the Midwest?

Notre Dame
64%
WUSTL
29%
Indiana
6%
Illinois
1%

Total votes: 72

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Which does best outside of the Midwest? ND, WUSTL, Indy, Ill

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Which does best in biglaw outside of the Midwest?

ND
WUSTL
Indiana
Illinois

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Re: Which does best outside of the Midwest? ND, WUSTL, Indy, Ill

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Please explain your vote, thanks

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Don't go to any of them if you don't want Midwest, but ND, but only because its comparing not good, to none at all.

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Notre Dame by a long shot. But if Vault is any indication, emlpoyers may begin increasing their hiring from Indy soon enough.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Don't go to any of them if you don't want Midwest, but ND, but only because its comparing not good, to none at all.
...yup.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:10 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Don't go to any of them if you don't want Midwest, but ND, but only because its comparing not good, to none at all.
...yup.
I voted for ND.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 am

How would these schools play out in Chicago? My initial guess is ND-Illinois-WUSTL-Indy.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 am

ArtVandelay wrote:How would these schools play out in Chicago? My initial guess is ND-Illinois-WUSTL-Indy.
UIUC> ND = WUSTL < Indy

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:59 pm

ND for sure I think, very strong alumni network across the nation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:14 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:51 am

rookhawk wrote:ND (in Chicago) is in a different league. It runs regionally with Chicago and Northwestern...sometimes higher because it is the Roman Catholic Ivy for all intents and purposes.

In Chicago, I'd argue that UofI is then in the circle with Loyola, Kent and WUSL.

Then in "also ran" category you have the Indiana/Bloomington and Indy.

You leave the region with any of these minus ND, Chicago and Northwestern....you have no credibility unless you're measuring how great a state school you went to. UofI is like a Wisconsin or a Minnesota or a Texas...fine state schools that get less respect than private schools in most instances.
ND runs nowhere near Chicago or NU. UIUC beats ND in Chicago (but ND beats UIUC everywhere in the country).

I'm still LOLing at ND beating NU or Chicago because its a Catholic Ivy.

ND can't place more than 15% of its class in big law in this economy.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 am

ND, then WashU, with UIUC chasing the buttskirts IMO. idk about IUB.

ND & WashU have somewhat comparable placements outside the Midwest, with ND seemingly doing better on the West coast and WashU doing slightly better on the East coast, but neither UIUC or IUB seem to be anywhere in the same league as either school.

any attack on these findings on the basis of self-selection would probably succeed.

In conclusion, if given these four choices and you need to pick the more national school, I'd go with either ND or WashU
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
rookhawk wrote:ND (in Chicago) is in a different league. It runs regionally with Chicago and Northwestern...sometimes higher because it is the Roman Catholic Ivy for all intents and purposes.

In Chicago, I'd argue that UofI is then in the circle with Loyola, Kent and WUSL.

Then in "also ran" category you have the Indiana/Bloomington and Indy.

You leave the region with any of these minus ND, Chicago and Northwestern....you have no credibility unless you're measuring how great a state school you went to. UofI is like a Wisconsin or a Minnesota or a Texas...fine state schools that get less respect than private schools in most instances.
ND runs nowhere near Chicago or NU. UIUC beats ND in Chicago (but ND beats UIUC everywhere in the country).

I'm still LOLing at ND beating NU or Chicago because its a Catholic Ivy.

ND can't place more than 15% of its class in big law in this economy.
do you think ND grads are in danger of not finding jobs ITE....like even valuable (career-wise) 50k/year legal jobs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 am

Lxw wrote:ND, then WashU, with UIUC chasing the buttskirts IMO. idk about IUB.

ND & WashU have somewhat comparable placements outside the Midwest, with ND seemingly doing better on the West coast and WashU doing slightly better on the East coast, but neither UIUC or IUB seem to be anywhere in the same league as either school.
i agree with the assessment. but i think the placement outside the midwest has more to do with the people attending the schools. i'm thinking since more people go to washu and nd from all over the country than iub and uiuc, more of their students place all over ( back to where they came from).

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:15 am

ArtVandelay wrote:Which does best in biglaw outside of the Midwest?

ND
WUSTL
Indiana
Illinois
Notre Dame by far - 10%+ in CA and 10%+ in NY

It's interesting what the other posters are taking about.

Only taking into account T50 midwest schools:

For the midwest, the strongest two public institutions (past T14) are the University of Iowa (used to consistently be ranked #19; it is the most portable public school in the midwest past the University of Michigan) and the University of Minnesota (consistently ranked around #20; not quite as portable as Iowa but still a strong midwest public school).

On the other hand, the two weakest public institutions are Indiana Bloomington (Only recently has reached prominence; it lacks a strong regional reputation) and the University of Illinois (Only because it only feeds into one saturated market in which it is probably school number 4 at best in the market - also all of the other public schools in the region have "secondary" markets that they have at least some access to).

Also the strongest two private institutions (past T14) are the University of Notre Dame (while it is strongest in IL, it is widely considered to be a "national" school) and Washington University (only recently has been ranked high; it is not particularly portable - yet it's IL placement is getting better).

*Side note: Case Western is severely underrated - it places more in Big Law than Ohio State (Case is in Ohio). Case would probably be one of the top 5 non-T14 law programs in the midwest for "Big Law." Yet no one cares about it because it's outside of the T50 while people simultaneously go crazy of IUB when IUB has nothing new to show for itself except for higher expenditures per student.

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 am

+1
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:00 am

rookhawk wrote:Well,

Here is the list of notable grads from ND:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... ame_alumni

And here is the list of notable grads from UofI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... ble_alumni

Interesting that the lists of people are somewhat similar in length, yet ND is dwarfed by UofI when it comes to the size of student body. Unquestionably, ND per capita puts out more top talent than UofI or the other state schools discussed.
That you think that comparing Wikipedia lists is a good way of determining which university is better should be fairly embarrassing to Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is a good school, but its nowhere near as good at NU or Chicago, and nobody but insane Notre Dame alumni think so.

ND law places a little more of its class into big law than UIUC, but it does so nationally. UIUC places pretty much all its big law inside chicago. ITE its pretty much top 10% for either school. There is no question ND law is better nationally than UIUC.

As far as which University is better a whole? For a generic BA ND is probably better, but UIUC has much better graduate programs. UIUC is an international research institution.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”