most liberal/conservative law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: most liberal/conservative law schools

Post by worldtraveler » Sat May 31, 2008 6:24 am

normalien
Post subject: Re: most liberal/conservative law schools

I'm surprised UVA hasn't come up. It's big enough to represent the spectrum, but by and large it seems pretty firmly entrenched on the conservative side of things.

When I was there visiting, the hotel bar was showing Fox News.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your idea about UVA, but be careful making assumptions about a place based on what you see at a hotel. All of the newspapers, television channels, even brand names of products used are designed to please people staying there from out of town, so Fox News being on in the bar more likely means that whoever is in charge of that hotel put together some useless committee to determine that people visiting the UVA area are more likely to want to watch Fox News, but it isn't necessarily a reflection on UVA itself.
I work in a hotel, and it's amazing the amount of time we spend paying attention to stuff like that. Some hotels even select things they think locals won't like just to try to keep them out.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Sat May 31, 2008 11:25 am

normalien wrote:I'm surprised UVA hasn't come up. It's big enough to represent the spectrum, but by and large it seems pretty firmly entrenched on the conservative side of things.

Considering that Fox News is the highest rated cable news channel, maybe management decided that would be the best choice to please its patrons.

I don't know what that has to do with the political leanings of the UVA student body.

doublehoo22

New

Post by doublehoo22 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:57 am

normalien wrote:I'm surprised UVA hasn't come up. It's big enough to represent the spectrum, but by and large it seems pretty firmly entrenched on the conservative side of things.

I am not sure about the law school student body, but I sense there is a mix of ideologies. Charlottesville-Albemarle, however, is certainly not conservative.

House Trained

New

Post by House Trained » Sat May 31, 2008 12:41 pm

Last edited by House Trained on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normalien

New

Post by normalien » Sat May 31, 2008 3:08 pm

Just to clarify, I wasn't basing my opinion (that UVA leans to the right) on the hotel remark...

I visited the following schools, twice each, in the past three months:

Michigan
UVA
Cornell
GULC
Northwestern

Of all of those, UVA consistently seemed the most conservative...It was also the only spot I went where the hotel was playing Fox News. Maybe there's a relation, maybe not...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Derek

New

Post by Derek » Sat May 31, 2008 3:50 pm

normalien wrote:When I was there visiting, the hotel bar was showing Fox News.
Oh my.

I've never been to there, but doesn't Charlottesville have a reputation as being a typical liberal college town? Also, judging by some of the clinics that the law school has (granting that this in itself only comments on the faculty), I would expect that it tends to attract a pretty liberal group of people.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat May 31, 2008 3:53 pm

normalien wrote:Just to clarify, I wasn't basing my opinion (that UVA leans to the right) on the hotel remark...

I visited the following schools, twice each, in the past three months:

Michigan
UVA
Cornell
GULC
Northwestern

Of all of those, UVA consistently seemed the most conservative...It was also the only spot I went where the hotel was playing Fox News. Maybe there's a relation, maybe not...
Then why do you keep bringing it up?
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:10 am

Derek wrote:
normalien wrote:When I was there visiting, the hotel bar was showing Fox News.
Oh my.

I've never been to there, but doesn't Charlottesville have a reputation as being a typical liberal college town? Also, judging by some of the clinics that the law school has (granting that this in itself only comments on the faculty), I would expect that it tends to attract a pretty liberal group of people.
I don't get the impression that the town of Charlottesville itself is as liberal as a lot of college towns. It's probably more liberal than a lot of that part of Virginia, but it's all relative.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”