Is there a delay between when an application is delivered to a federal courthouse and when chambers receives it? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nyc2020

New

Is there a delay between when an application is delivered to a federal courthouse and when chambers receives it?

Post by nyc2020 » Mon May 16, 2022 3:32 pm

I’m mailing a paper clerkship application to a federal judge. I got a tracking number, so I know when it’s delivered to the courthouse. But how long after that (i.e. delivery to the federal courthouse) will the judge’s chambers actually receive it?

I ask because I want to have a recommender call as soon as chambers has received the application.

For those of you are current or past clerks and know the answer, I would especially appreciate your opinion.

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Is there a delay between when an application is delivered to a federal courthouse and when chambers receives it?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2022 3:37 pm

In my flyover District Court clerkship, a clerk or court employee walked over to a different building to pick up (and open up) the mail in the "safe" mailroom. Someone went over most days, but not every day.

I imagine the answer comes down to chambers' idiosyncrasies. You're probably fine if you wait a few days before calling.

Anonymous User

Re: Is there a delay between when an application is delivered to a federal courthouse and when chambers receives it?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2022 6:20 pm

It can take a week or two for the clerk to remember to check the right mailbox, and even then it might remain in a pile for weeks without being read.

I think you have it backwards. Just have your recommender call. If it's a compelling recommendation, we'll hunt down the application, even if it means going to the mailroom for it.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon May 16, 2022 6:27 pm

Just have your recommender call a couple days after it's delivered. We tried to go to the mail room and check the mail every day, but that didn't always happen. If you really want to err on the safe side, give it a few days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm

I’d say we check our mail once every few days, but I don’t think it’s very relevant to timing recommender calls

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”