Up for partner and I need to fake interest/ability to do business development Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Up for partner and I need to fake interest/ability to do business development

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm

I get lots of shit because I don't give enough specifics about my BD pursuits and interests. Mostly because I'm busy with work and just want to go home once I'm done with it. Some people say my partnership odds are good. Others say I need to show I'm more than just a person that a few (other peoples') clients like. Any advice for how to handle this? Any lower effort things I can do to show the initiative they're looking for?

Moneytrees

Silver

Re: Up for partner and I need to fake interest/ability to do business development

Post by Moneytrees » Tue May 24, 2022 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm
I get lots of shit because I don't give enough specifics about my BD pursuits and interests. Mostly because I'm busy with work and just want to go home once I'm done with it. Some people say my partnership odds are good. Others say I need to show I'm more than just a person that a few (other peoples') clients like. Any advice for how to handle this? Any lower effort things I can do to show the initiative they're looking for?
I mean, we all want to go home after a long day at work. People who make partner are the people who are willing to sacrifice their free time after billing all day to network and hustle for business. Unless you are so crucial in servicing important clients that BD isn't immediately expected (which doesn't seem to be the case), it's going to be hard to become a partner merely by feigning interest in it.

Anonymous User

Re: Up for partner and I need to fake interest/ability to do business development

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Why don't you just be transparent about not caring about business development and just forego the pursuit of equity partnership? It doesn't sound like the job is a good fit for you anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 9:14 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean, we all want to go home after a long day at work. People who make partner are the people who are willing to sacrifice their free time after billing all day to network and hustle for business. Unless you are so crucial in servicing important clients that BD isn't immediately expected (which doesn't seem to be the case), it's going to be hard to become a partner merely by feigning interest in it.
Look, gotta give you some tough Kardashian love here.

You come across like Kim, Kourt, and Khloe in Seasons 1-3 of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Entertaining with signs of greatness, but not fully committed to their careers. Always remember, it was only in Season 4 that they got their wings and started to fly. They chose to grind. The rest is history.

You have to make the decision…. Are you willing to do the extra work (Kourt and Khloe Take Miami, Kim and Kourt Take New York, Karl’s Jr. ads, Chris Humphries, dating basketball, nfl players, etc.). Only YOU know whether it’s worth it.

You seem like you’re in Calabasas and aren’t sure whether to take the leap.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 pm

OP here. My main client sends us quite frankly too much work. I could be here 24/7 just working on that client's work. I sunk 200 hours on business development bullshit this year and it all led to nowhere. I just found out we just got a matter suing the executive I've spent tons of time with trying to get work from. Seems like everyone would be better off if I had just spent that 200 hours billing the client that will send us more work every time we pick up the phone and ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:14 pm
Moneytrees wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You come across like Kim, Kourt, and Khloe in Seasons 1-3 of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Entertaining with signs of greatness, but not fully committed to their careers. Always remember, it was only in Season 4 that they got their wings and started to fly. They chose to grind. The rest is history.

You have to make the decision…. Are you willing to do the extra work (Kourt and Khloe Take Miami, Kim and Kourt Take New York, Karl’s Jr. ads, Chris Humphries, dating basketball, nfl players, etc.). Only YOU know whether it’s worth it.

Good luck.
Lol wtf?!?!

“I have the best advice for women in business [or 8th years who are up for partnership but hate business development]. Get your ******* ass up and work [network professionally]. It seems like no one wants to work these days.” “That’s so true!”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck.
Lol wtf?!?!

“I have the best advice for women in business [or 8th years who are up for partnership but hate business development]. Get your ******* ass up and work [network professionally]. It seems like no one wants to work these days.” “That’s so true!”
OP here. Joke or not, this Kardashians comment was the best one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 11:57 pm

Zoom catch-ups where you courier paired wine and cheeses to the participants are a good option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Wed May 25, 2022 8:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck.
This is too funny

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Wed May 25, 2022 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:35 pm

OP here. I remembered this post and wanted to come back and let everyone know I made partner. It was the Kardashian analogy that gave me the inspiration I needed to get across the finish line.

theneuro

New

Post by theneuro » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:35 pm
OP here. I remembered this post and wanted to come back and let everyone know I made partner. It was the Kardashian analogy that gave me the inspiration I needed to get across the finish line.
What'd you do to get across the finish line?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:37 pm

theneuro wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I did some extra pitches, spoke on some panels, got lucky and landed a new client for a tiny (like $40k) matter, but I told people I thought that could lead to a lot more work from the client. In full candor, I'm not sure whether I want the partner life - I'm pretty worn out. But I figure it's better to leave biglaw as a worn out partner than as a worn out super senior associate.

VentureMBA

New

Post by VentureMBA » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:37 pm
theneuro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I did some extra pitches, spoke on some panels, got lucky and landed a new client for a tiny (like $40k) matter, but I told people I thought that could lead to a lot more work from the client. In full candor, I'm not sure whether I want the partner life - I'm pretty worn out. But I figure it's better to leave biglaw as a worn out partner than as a worn out super senior associate.
How frequently do equity partners decide to leave law firm life? How many years would you expect an equity partner to put in before doing so?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:32 pm

VentureMBA wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
theneuro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How frequently do equity partners decide to leave law firm life? How many years would you expect an equity partner to put in before doing so?
I don't know and I don't know. I'll leave when I feel like it's time to leave. The biggest thing for me is having enough money to put my kids through school and get them a good start in life, and having enough time to enjoy my life. I'd probably have to leave my current city if I quit any time soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
theneuro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How important is business development for partnerships prospects? Also, what if an associate can legitimately bring in a massive client? Do firms deviate significantly from lockstep comp in these situations ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:10 am

VentureMBA wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
theneuro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
One of my mentors went in house three months after making partner; he told me he loves his new job and is very happy he made the switch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 am

I love how the replies are all telling OP he's not cut out for partnership and this isn't something you can fake etc, and then OP just....makes partner anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
An inspiration to all of us who are up for partner and don't want to do business development. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 am
Anonymous User wrote:
theneuro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How important is business development for partnerships prospects? Also, what if an associate can legitimately bring in a massive client? Do firms deviate significantly from lockstep comp in these situations ?
OP here. It's funny because they seem to get that associate business development efforts are not going to be super effective, but they seemed to want a bunch of data points indicating that the associate will be good at business development once they make partner. So they wanted to hear that I was making serious efforts to bring in work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 am
I love how the replies are all telling OP he's not cut out for partnership and this isn't something you can fake etc, and then OP just....makes partner anyway.
https://tenor.com/view/-gif-4519334 (edited because I pasted in the wrong one last time)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:35 pm

from an outsider perspective (never made or tried to make partner), you should try to get into the head of the partners that think BD is important. why do they think that? how can you explain to them that you're actually good in that regard?

for example, what if your big client goes away tomorrow. what could you offer the firm. telling them you attended a hundred corporate dinners last year might not help immensely but I guess it would give them comfort that you're comfortable and capable of trying to win business for the firm.

is there part of BD that you could actually enjoy or excel at? maybe it isn't asking people to get coffee, but instead it's creating a blog about legal issues that clients actually read and care about. maybe it's analyzing case law and predicting litigation trends to warn your clients about lawsuits that might be coming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:44 pm

johndhi wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:35 pm
from an outsider perspective (never made or tried to make partner), you should try to get into the head of the partners that think BD is important. why do they think that? how can you explain to them that you're actually good in that regard?

for example, what if your big client goes away tomorrow. what could you offer the firm. telling them you attended a hundred corporate dinners last year might not help immensely but I guess it would give them comfort that you're comfortable and capable of trying to win business for the firm.

is there part of BD that you could actually enjoy or excel at? maybe it isn't asking people to get coffee, but instead it's creating a blog about legal issues that clients actually read and care about. maybe it's analyzing case law and predicting litigation trends to warn your clients about lawsuits that might be coming.
OP here. Fair point. I can't think of any part of BD that doesn't feel like more shitty busy work. In fact, my job (biglaw litigator) feels like tons of that in general. But my lottery tickets are never winners, so I'll keep plugging away.

jamestaylorrecordsas

New

Post by jamestaylorrecordsas » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:36 am

Definitely Not North wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kardashians?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”