Opinion of Morrison Mahoney (New England)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Opinion of Morrison Mahoney (New England)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 pm

I know it’s insurance defense but they seem to do more complex/valuable cases than many other ID firms. In general, is it a respectable firm?

Anonymous User

Re: Opinion of Morrison Mahoney (New England)?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 pm
I know it’s insurance defense but they seem to do more complex/valuable cases than many other ID firms. In general, is it a respectable firm?
No.

*Anon cause only somebody in boston would really know this and I’d be identifiable from other posts if market is known.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:55 pm
No.
Can you elaborate?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
No.
Can you elaborate?
Can you ask a more specific question?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:15 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:31 pm
Can you ask a more specific question?
No.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:50 pm

"I know it’s insurance defense but..."

Dubious. And to be clear I have no issue with these jobs, but if respectability is important and you have comparable options, I wouldn't do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No.
Can you elaborate?
Same anon. I’ll do my best.

I’m senior associate in market biglaw lit at a firm with a moderate boston presence. Boston is a big town but as they always remark about this city, the lit community can feel very small; people change jobs, people chat, judges talk to their former clerks, and so forth.

I’ve been in this game a while and I can certainly appreciate that there are firms with great reps for hanging with the big boys in a boston lit context that are not biglaw. In fact I’ve been against a few of them and been surprised/impressed. I could probably name a handful based on rep and/or my personal experience if I thought about it for a sec, but I know that wasn’t the original question.

Suffice it to say that Morrison Mahoney is just not one of these firms. Not even close. Their rep for pure lit skill isn’t up there, their rep for client size/quality isn’t up there, their rep for hard prestige-type lawyer credentials isn’t there, and their rep for the type of work they get isn’t up there (which it seems like you already kind of know).

Could they be a stepping stone to market biglaw? Ehh possibly in a hot market, but it’s very far from definite I’d say and would likely depend on other creds. Anecdotally I know of one person who jumped from there to vault50 but that person also had fantastic creds to begin with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No.
Can you elaborate?
Same anon. I’ll do my best.

I’m senior associate in market biglaw lit at a firm with a moderate boston presence. Boston is a big town but as they always remark about this city, the lit community can feel very small; people change jobs, people chat, judges talk to their former clerks, and so forth.

I’ve been in this game a while and I can certainly appreciate that there are firms with great reps for hanging with the big boys in a boston lit context that are not biglaw. In fact I’ve been against a few of them and been surprised/impressed. I could probably name a handful based on rep and/or my personal experience if I thought about it for a sec, but I know that wasn’t the original question.

Suffice it to say that Morrison Mahoney is just not one of these firms. Not even close. Their rep for pure lit skill isn’t up there, their rep for client size/quality isn’t up there, their rep for hard prestige-type lawyer credentials isn’t there, and their rep for the type of work they get isn’t up there (which it seems like you already kind of know).

Could they be a stepping stone to market biglaw? Ehh possibly in a hot market, but it’s very far from definite I’d say and would likely depend on other creds. Anecdotally I know of one person who jumped from there to vault50 but that person also had fantastic creds to begin with.
That’s what I was afraid of. Thank you for the response.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”