I got let go and asked for more website time, was told NO - freaking out, please help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I got let go and asked for more website time, was told NO - freaking out, please help

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am

I was let go and given one month severance and website time. I signed a separation agreement. I asked the department head if I could get more time on the website because I have heard this is standard practice (also I noticed one of my colleagues pages on the website for months, however, now I'm second guessing what I saw because he was previously furloughed) explained how helpful it would be etc. etc. and they told me they I will remain on until the date identified in my separation agreement (which I signed before asking for more time. . . . i know, that was dumb) and they aren't permitted to leave me on after that. Now I am freaking out, because during an interview someone mentioned my page on the website - so I know it will come up again.

I am nervous to even ask again because it's like I'm asking the firm to lie and list me as employed when I am not (I'm afraid they might think I am being unethical or dishonest). I am also nervous to ask again since I got a NO the first time. I don't know what to do.

Anonymous User

Re: I got let go and asked for more website time, was told NO - freaking out, please help

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:03 pm

You lost all your negotiating leverage when you signed the severance agreement. You can try pleading with the partners that you're closest to but they may not be willing to do much for you.

This is by far the hottest lateral hiring market that anyone can remember. I've seen multiple laid-off attorneys with resume gaps of several months go back into biglaw. You need to figure out a gameplan so you can take advantage of the market while it lasts. Apply broadly, work with recruiters on unposted positions (ignore the ones who do nothing but public postings), and see if any partners you've worked with before can put in a good word with their friends at other firms.

Anonymous User

Re: I got let go and asked for more website time, was told NO - freaking out, please help

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:39 pm

[Mods.: I'm posting anonymously because my post history may reveal the firm where I work now and whether or not I'd like to stay there. Please do keep this post anonymous. Thank you.]

To the original poster: There's no harm in asking again. The firm has already asked you to leave, and your request is understandable given the circumstances. There's no risk that they'll think worse of you for asking. Does the separation agreement say that you were not let go for cause?

To the second poster: Is the Big Law market hot for litigators too? It doesn't seem like many big law shops are looking for non-IP litigators now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:40 pm

[Mods.: I'm posting anonymously because my post history may reveal the firm where I work now and whether or not I'd like to stay there. Please do keep this post anonymous. Thank you.]

To the original poster: There's no harm in asking again. The firm has already asked you to leave, and your request is understandable given the circumstances. There's no risk that they'll think worse of you for asking. Does the separation agreement say that you were not let go for cause?

To the second poster: Is the Big Law market hot for litigators too? It doesn't seem like many big law shops are looking for non-IP litigators now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:39 pm
Litigation isn't as hot (it never is) but I've still seen more openings than usual. Some practices that have a litigation component like antitrust are very busy, however. So if you've ever worked on anything antitrust related you could try to market yourself as an antitrust lawyer. There are probably other opportunities like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Why were you let go and is it a big law firm? Maybe you can explain it well in future interviews.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am
I was let go and given one month severance and website time. I signed a separation agreement. I asked the department head if I could get more time on the website because I have heard this is standard practice (also I noticed one of my colleagues pages on the website for months, however, now I'm second guessing what I saw because he was previously furloughed) explained how helpful it would be etc. etc. and they told me they I will remain on until the date identified in my separation agreement (which I signed before asking for more time. . . . i know, that was dumb) and they aren't permitted to leave me on after that. Now I am freaking out, because during an interview someone mentioned my page on the website - so I know it will come up again.

I am nervous to even ask again because it's like I'm asking the firm to lie and list me as employed when I am not (I'm afraid they might think I am being unethical or dishonest). I am also nervous to ask again since I got a NO the first time. I don't know what to

Just calm down. Big law might be over for you or not. Just explain you were laid off for economic reasons. No work, covid, etc. You will find a new job. Whether it's big law is another question. And I would ask again for website time. But if they say, no, oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am nervous to even ask again because it's like I'm asking the firm to lie and list me as employed when I am not (I'm afraid they might think I am being unethical or dishonest). I am also nervous to ask again since I got a NO the first time. I don't know what to do.

OP, what practice area are you in and what market? I'm sure people are happy to reply if their firms are hiring in your area and help you land somewhere.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

OP, what practice area are you in and what market? I'm sure people are happy to reply if their firms are hiring in your area and help you land somewhere.
im surprised the referral bonus hawks haven't already swooped in

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”