How to find out pay scale at firms that only publish their first-year compensation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to find out pay scale at firms that only publish their first-year compensation?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 pm

My midlaw firm only releases first-year pay and it's non-market so there's really no benchmark. Am I just out of luck and do I have to hope that their pay increase is good, or are there acceptable ways to actually ask somebody? I'm guessing asking a senior associate could be an option if I'm friends with someone, but are there any other appropriate means by which I can learn more about the firm's pay scale?

Sackboy

Silver

Re: How to find out pay scale at firms that only publish their first-year compensation?

Post by Sackboy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm

You could ask your recruiting folks if the firm has an internally published lock-step pay scale. Otherwise, the senior associate is probably your best bet.

Anonymous User

Re: How to find out pay scale at firms that only publish their first-year compensation?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm
You could ask your recruiting folks if the firm has an internally published lock-step pay scale. Otherwise, the senior associate is probably your best bet.
Thanks! So it's not considered weird or distasteful to ask the firm directly? Would this be something I should save until I start officially after graduation, or is this okay to ask after getting a 2L summer offer or a post-2L return offer?

publius365

New

Post by publius365 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:20 pm

Firm should have an internal associate compensation schedule explaining how raises and performance/discretionary bonuses work. Ask away after receiving your offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 3:23 pm

publius365 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:20 pm
Firm should have an internal associate compensation schedule explaining how raises and performance/discretionary bonuses work. Ask away after receiving your offer.
Thanks. Would this offer be a 2L SA offer or the return offer? Or does it not matter?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

publius365

New

Post by publius365 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:23 pm
publius365 wrote:
Thanks. Would this offer be a 2L SA offer or the return offer? Or does it not matter?
I think you could do it at either time, so long as this is a firm where a return offer for a 2L summer usually translates into a full-time offer post-graduation. You're trying to determine whether you want to be employed with them after graduation, and compensation is obviously a significant component of employment decisions — no reputable firm should look askance if you ask for this logical information (so long as you aren't asking on the first week of your 1L summer program — because at that point you should be focused on your work, and not presuming that you will be receiving an offer).

If a firm is cagey about providing you with this information, find a different firm to work at. There may be some exceptions where compensation is black box or becomes black box for mid-level associates (think Jones Day). I'm not sure what kind of information you will garner in those circumstances, but you still should be able to get a ballpark picture of what your compensation could look like, even if it will vary within some range.

But in general, firms aren't naive about this. It's a normal employment question to ask for firms that don't follow market. Just be tactful about it. I'd specifically ask the summer coordinator (if they are a non-attorney) if they can provide you with the relevant materials regarding associate compensation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 6:49 pm

publius365 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:23 pm
publius365 wrote:
I think you could do it at either time, so long as this is a firm where a return offer for a 2L summer usually translates into a full-time offer post-graduation. You're trying to determine whether you want to be employed with them after graduation, and compensation is obviously a significant component of employment decisions — no reputable firm should look askance if you ask for this logical information (so long as you aren't asking on the first week of your 1L summer program — because at that point you should be focused on your work, and not presuming that you will be receiving an offer).

If a firm is cagey about providing you with this information, find a different firm to work at. There may be some exceptions where compensation is black box or becomes black box for mid-level associates (think Jones Day). I'm not sure what kind of information you will garner in those circumstances, but you still should be able to get a ballpark picture of what your compensation could look like, even if it will vary within some range.

But in general, firms aren't naive about this. It's a normal employment question to ask for firms that don't follow market. Just be tactful about it. I'd specifically ask the summer coordinator (if they are a non-attorney) if they can provide you with the relevant materials regarding associate compensation.
That was really helpful. Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”