Questions about Potentially Taking CA Bar Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Questions about Potentially Taking CA Bar

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:40 pm

*This post is anon because I don't want this traced to my current employers.*

I graduated from a lower T14, and am a commercial litigation junior associate in an AM200 law firm's secondary market office.

Down the line, I would love to practice in California - specifically in LA if possible. Obviously I'm not licensed in California - how would I go about preparing for this?

Should I somehow find a way to take off work for a week or so and cram hard, or should I just study while working if I can? And how would I go about taking the time off to physically take the bar in California? Has anyone ever done something like this?

Anonymous User

Re: Questions about Potentially Taking CA Bar

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 am

I've often heard attorneys from other states fail the CA Bar because they do a week or two cram session. Since CA Bar is now 2-day and licensed attorneys only participate in the essay portion, which can be pulled from all the subjects in terms of topic, I would think you'd want to study while you work and then maybe pull a week as time gets closer to the exam to "cram". I suspect you'll want to take vacation time to take the CA Bar. Not sure there is any other alternative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:35 pm

I apologize for hijacking OP’s thread but I also have a similar question about the CA bar exam. The post before mine notes that licensed attorneys need only to participate in the essay portion, but is that correct? From what I can find online you can only take the Attorney’s Exam if you’ve been admitted for four years. Is that right?

If so, do you need to have been admitted for four years at the time of the exam, or at the time of admission? I ask because I will have been admitted for literally 3.99 years by the time the February 2021 CA bar rolls around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:37 am

Prior post here, you are correct. 4+ years = 1 day CA Bar. Under 4 years = 2 day CA Bar. And then you still have to take the MPRE either way. I would imagine its 4 years by the time of the exam? But not sure. Give the CA Bar office a call. I've found them to be quite helpful.

https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Re ... Applicants

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:37 am
Prior post here, you are correct. 4+ years = 1 day CA Bar. Under 4 years = 2 day CA Bar. And then you still have to take the MPRE either way. I would imagine its 4 years by the time of the exam? But not sure. Give the CA Bar office a call. I've found them to be quite helpful.

Thanks! Ordinarily I would have called, and probably still will at some point, I just figured I’d have trouble getting ahold of anyone these days

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:37 am

Thanks! Ordinarily I would have called, and probably still will at some point, I just figured I’d have trouble getting ahold of anyone these days
You're welcome!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”