gunderson NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

gunderson NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:50 pm

Anyone know much about the new office in midtown south? What’s the layout? And how much work is M&A versus financing and cap markets?

Anonymous User

Re: gunderson NY

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:46 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:31 am

Bumping as well. Looking at NY market for corporate work so I’m interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:16 am

Not NY. But should be the same generally across offices. The difference is in the EC/VC side. Which type of investors and companies you’re working with. We have a dedicated team to handle M&A, but general corporate team also does M&A, which is probably sell-side heavy. Capital markets is growing team. Generally we are bringing in more capital markets partners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:16 am
Not NY. But should be the same generally across offices. The difference is in the EC/VC side. Which type of investors and companies you’re working with. We have a dedicated team to handle M&A, but general corporate team also does M&A, which is probably sell-side heavy. Capital markets is growing team. Generally we are bringing in more capital markets partners.
Is there a big difference, skills-wise and client-wise on M&A, between the people that are in the general group and do sell-side M&A, vs the general M&A group? Are the hours much worse in the M&A only group? Anything else interesting about the divide between the two groups? Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 pm

If you’re thinking about applying, think twice unless you’re 100000% sure you’ll be hired. I interviewed with them several years ago — rounds and rounds of interviews, at least 20 of them over the span of three days, including interviews with associates more junior than I was. Got rejected at the end. I’m never going to forget what they made me go through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:16 am
Is there a big difference, skills-wise and client-wise on M&A, between the people that are in the general group and do sell-side M&A, vs the general M&A group? Are the hours much worse in the M&A only group? Anything else interesting about the divide between the two groups? Thank you!
There is a difference in your interaction with the client. The M&A team is dealing with clients on a one-off basis, to specifically do the deal and go on their merry way after it closes. Whereas the General Corporate team handles anything that the client requests and stays on for any acquisition/mergers (unless they are sold off then you are no longer their counsel). So General Corporate group is generally more balanced in terms of skills/knowledge (you kind of have to know a little about everything ECEB, L&E, IP/Tech Trans), but M&A group has more specialized knowledge for M&A.

Hard to say about hours, depends on what you like to do. M&A will be easier to bill to because you are working on a handful of deals at any given time, whereas as a general corp associate you have clients randomly email you for stuff everyday. So you have switching costs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 pm
If you’re thinking about applying, think twice unless you’re 100000% sure you’ll be hired. I interviewed with them several years ago — rounds and rounds of interviews, at least 20 of them over the span of three days, including interviews with associates more junior than I was. Got rejected at the end. I’m never going to forget what they made me go through.
Same anon that responded right above: 20 sounds a bit much, and slight exaggeration, but won’t dispute the claim. However, I think things have changed and they are streamlining the process. There could be special cases why they want to interview someone a bit more and depends on which group you are interviewing for. The other groups we have hire less frequently so they may be more selective about who they want to hire. Take with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 am

Anyone know what the new office looks like? Do associates get their own external offices?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 am
Anyone know what the new office looks like? Do associates get their own external offices?
bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 pm
Lol same experience here. I interviewed last year when I was on pace for 2800 hours. I did like 3 rounds of interviews all on Friday evenings because that was the only time I had. Thought I had it in the bag for sure and then got rejected. Really pissed me off about how much time they wasted but whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:10 pm

I have heard that relatively recently, several associates joined and left the office within a year. Can anyone at Gunderson NY provide insight as to why (or let me know that my intel is wrong)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:10 pm
I have heard that relatively recently, several associates joined and left the office within a year. Can anyone at Gunderson NY provide insight as to why (or let me know that my intel is wrong)?
I know a handful who left to go in-house. I don’t know of too many who went to other firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”