2.41 GPA, 148 LSAT chances for an ABA law school? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
RockChalkdallas

New

2.41 GPA, 148 LSAT chances for an ABA law school?

Post by RockChalkdallas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 pm

My gpa would be about a 2.7 if I didn't have and F in 4 classes one semester (family death). I am a URM and at least half native american. I go to a top 80 undergraduate school and have had some pretty cool volunteer/mentoring experiences while in undergrad. Everyone on here seems to have scores in the 160's and great GPA's, what are my chances at getting into any ABA accredited law school??? I'd be greatful for any help. Thanks.

colemf

Bronze

Re: 2.41 GPA, 148 LSAT chances for an ABA law school?

Post by colemf » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:29 pm

very very small, are you a member of an actual tribe?(Your mom telling you you are half does not count, you have to prove it) If you are then you got a shot.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Unfortunately, the odds don't look too good. Is Southern in Baton Rouge accredited? If so, I'd say that is about the only one you have a shot at currently. You could go to the law school in Puerto Rico.

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:38 pm

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but with those numbers, even being a URM, it seems very unlikely. Even if you did get into a school, there are a lot more things to consider than ABA accreditation. The amount of debt likely won't be worth the extremely limited job prospects from such a regional T4 school. If you are convinced that law school is for you, I think you need to retake the LSAT and aim for mid 150s, but even then, the schools may still be highly regional T3 and T4 options.

RockChalkdallas

New

Post by RockChalkdallas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks for the help so far! I should mention that my grandfather has his CDBI but I don't have one and don't really plan on getting one, at least not in time for this application cycle. I don't feel that I should have to register to prove my race if other groups don't have to even though NA's are very under represented in law schools and it may help me out to do so, just personal choice. I might also mention that I'm really looking for part time programs so that I can work my way through law school and help pay down those costs if I could manage to get in somewhere. I'm looking at a law degree to help serve underserved communities like those of my native american cousins in tribal regions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:59 pm

RockChalkdallas wrote:Thanks for the help so far! I should mention that my grandfather has his CDBI but I don't have one and don't really plan on getting one, at least not in time for this application cycle. I don't feel that I should have to register to prove my race if other groups don't have to even though NA's are very under represented in law schools and it may help me out to do so, just personal choice. I might also mention that I'm really looking for part time programs so that I can work my way through law school and help pay down those costs if I could manage to get in somewhere. I'm looking at a law degree to help serve underserved communities like those of my native american cousins in tribal regions.
You do need better numbers, but if you can get a good LSAT score, demonstrating that this will be the focus of your career will really give adcomms something to think about. Hell, it's the intended purpose of AA in the first place. I'd say try to get a scholarship at a school where you'll at least get a good education and have decent regional placement.

dax9876

New

Post by dax9876 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Look, this website it predominately patrolled by high scorers. They will tell you that you have no shot of getting in to any law school, and that even if you do the law school will be so crappy, that you wont be able to find a job.

This is BS on both accounts. You may struggle to get into a law school, but trust me when I say that there are a very wide variety of schools that ARE accredited! (Southern in Baton Rouge is accredited by the way.) You can get into a law school if you try hard enough.

On the second point of not being able to find a job: If you do well in LS, no matter which ABA LS it is, you will be able to find a respectable job! The people on this board will likely tell you otherwise because they don't think that working in a small firm, making $50K a year is respectable. But you should be the one to decide that. And again, just because you start small, does not mean you can't end big.

Try to get in some place if your heart is truly in it. Then APPLY YOURSELF and DO WELL in whichever LS you attend, and you will be just fine. No you won't get into a top 100 LS with those numbers in all likelihood, but just because some people tell you "If you can't get into a T-100, it isn't worth your time.", does not make that statement true! You decide for yourself!

GOOD LUCK!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”