3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
happyday

New

3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Post by happyday » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi everyone!

I got a 173 on the July 2019 LSAT and I am applying this cycle with a 3.87 GPA. I am crossing my fingers for Chicago, Columbia, and NYU, especially Columbia because I really want to pursue corporate law in NYC. I fully acknowledge that, with my numbers, YS are pretty much impossible to get into (I have average softs and am currently working in consulting), but I wanted to ask all of you if it is worth applying to Harvard. Do you think I even have a shot? I am not a URM and went to a state school for college, if that gives you some more context.

I am pretty much blanketing the T-14 from Chicago down, but I would really appreciate any advice on whether I even ought to entertain hopes for Harvard. Or are my chances at H basically the same as at YS (in which case I guess I shouldn’t even bother applying :D) ?

Thanks so much for any input!

Dcc617

Gold

Re: 3.87 LSAC GPA / 173 - is it worth it to apply to Harvard?

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:39 am

You have a shot everywhere.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 am

Dcc617 wrote:You have a shot everywhere.
This.

I don't know why you think YS are out of play, and you're a strong contender for a full scholarship at CCN (absolutely no reason to focus on Columbia alone).

happyday

New

Post by happyday » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
This.

I don't know why you think YS are out of play, and you're a strong contender for a full scholarship at CCN (absolutely no reason to focus on Columbia alone).
Thanks for the replies!

Wow, that's amazing to hear! I am new to the whole admissions process and, from the posts and articles that I have read so far, I get the sense that YS have so-called "black box" decisions and that you really need to be special in some way (e.g. Rhodes Scholar, published paper in undergrad) to get in. That is why I did not put YS on my radar at all. At the same time, I have recently gotten the understanding that Harvard's admissions process is a bit more predictable and a "numbers game" (because of the really large class size, I think?), so I wanted to ask if I have a shot there. Do you have an idea what my chances might be for Harvard?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:43 pm

happyday wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
This.

Thanks for the replies!

Wow, that's amazing to hear! I am new to the whole admissions process and, from the posts and articles that I have read so far, I get the sense that YS have so-called "black box" decisions and that you really need to be special in some way (e.g. Rhodes Scholar, published paper in undergrad) to get in. That is why I did not put YS on my radar at all. At the same time, I have recently gotten the understanding that Harvard's admissions process is a bit more predictable and a "numbers game" (because of the really large class size, I think?), so I wanted to ask if I have a shot there. Do you have an idea what my chances might be for Harvard?
It's true that softs have more of an impact at YS (once you have the numbers), but your numbers at least give you an outside shot at admission there. It would be worth throwing an application at them.

You have a very good chance at Harvard, and you're almost certainly in everywhere else in the T13.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:44 pm

mylsn.info

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Dcc617 wrote:mylsn.info
OP, if you run your numbers on this site, you will discover that 83% (15/18) of candidates with your stats got into HLS. (In contrast, 25% of applicants with your stats got into SLS and 7% got into YLS.)

It's certainly worth it to apply.

happyday

New

Post by happyday » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:33 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:mylsn.info
OP, if you run your numbers on this site, you will discover that 83% (15/18) of candidates with your stats got into HLS. (In contrast, 25% of applicants with your stats got into SLS and 7% got into YLS.)

It's certainly worth it to apply.
Hi there! That website is really cool! I didn’t know there was a repository with so much data from past applicants. I ran a search with a 173-173 LSAT range and a 3.83-3.87 GPA range and it said I have a 60% chance at Harvard. That seems really high though.

How accurate would you say the numbers from the MyLSN site are? Also, would you mind sharing any personal experience applying to Harvard or similar schools, if you’ve already been through the process? I’ve heard that the admissions process in the past few cycles have been getting increasingly competitive, so I’m not sure how much stock to put into past data. That 60% just seems too high to be true, so I would really appreciate hearing from some real people rather than having my head in the clouds at my chances at Harvard after looking at some raw numbers :) Thanks again!

happyday

New

Post by happyday » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
happyday wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
This.

Thanks for the replies!

It's true that softs have more of an impact at YS (once you have the numbers), but your numbers at least give you an outside shot at admission there. It would be worth throwing an application at them.

You have a very good chance at Harvard, and you're almost certainly in everywhere else in the T13.
Thanks for your reply, cavalier1138! I guess I will submit applications to the HYS trinity then and cross my fingers for H :) I really thought it wasn’t worth applying to them but I took a look at this MyLSN tool and Harvard looks a bit more possible than I thought. However, it looks like I am at their median for the LSAT but below their median for GPA. Do you have any thoughts on how important “softs” are for Harvard? I don’t have any unicorn softs - would financial consulting at a global firm make up for my GPA and overall “generic-ness”? Or is Harvard basically a numbers game as well?

Really appreciate your advice! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:05 pm

You're much closer to the GPA median (3.89) than the bottom 25% (3.79). Like everyone is saying, you are not a lock, but I think you have a better than 50-50 chance of getting in and it's certainly worth a shot.

happyday

New

Post by happyday » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:56 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:You're much closer to the GPA median (3.89) than the bottom 25% (3.79). Like everyone is saying, you are not a lock, but I think you have a better than 50-50 chance of getting in and it's certainly worth a shot.
Ooh I see. Thanks for all the advice! I think I will submit an application to Harvard and see how it goes :))

hooverdam2

New

Post by hooverdam2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 am

Hi happyday,

I've got similar stats and applying in the future. I'm wondering how your cycle went? Did you get into Harvard?

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 pm

happyday wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:33 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
This.

Thanks for the replies!

The bolded is exactly why anyone whose numbers do not completely foreclose them from admission to YS should apply to YS. You honestly have no idea what the people reading your application will choose to preference when making their admission decision. It could be something as simple as writing a truly unique, clever personal statement. And for the record: there are lots of people at YS who are not Rhodes Scholars or equivalent. There is no harm in applying and tremendous upside if you get accepted. Apply everywhere.

happyday

New

Post by happyday » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 am

hooverdam2 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 am
Hi happyday,

I've got similar stats and applying in the future. I'm wondering how your cycle went? Did you get into Harvard?
Hey hooverdam,

Good luck with your applications (if you’re applying this cycle)! I ended up getting waitlisted by Harvard :D Got into Chicago ($45k), Columbia (Butler), Michigan ($150k), and Cornell (did not negotiate for scholarship). Waitlisted by the couple other T14s I applied to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”