3.94GPA, 167LSAT NU ED vs UT Austin ED Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
abbyballet

New

3.94GPA, 167LSAT NU ED vs UT Austin ED

Post by abbyballet » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:12 am

Hey guys, I am an 29-year-old international student. I finished my undergraduate and graduate works in America, and worked in my home country for five years. This year, I am applying for law schools in America and Canada, and hopefully, start a legal career in North America after 3 years. As an international student who would need a H1B to work in America, I choose law schools mainly based on Biglaw job placement, cost of attendance. Also, I have a lovely five-year-old son who will attend elementary school when I start law school, so I am choosing a place to live for both of us. Weather, life and public school quality would be crucial deciding factors .

I have a 3.94/4.00 GPA from an ivy league school, scored 167 for LSAT, and worked 5 yr in education industry. I am thinking about applying to NU(130k scholarship for ED applicants is tempting, supportive learning environment. but I have safety concerns for Streeterville ) Duke, Cornell(strong ties to NY market), UT Austin(good job placement in TX), UCLA, WUSTL(possible full-ride opportunity), USC(possible full-ride opportunity).

Applicants to NU for Early Decision Program who got accepted receive 130k scholarship. And ED applicants to UT Austin pay in-state tuition plus scholarship. Is it wise for me to ED NU/UT Austin to for scholarship opportunities? Also, based on my numbers, what other schools should I apply to?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :D :D

splitmuch

Silver

Re: 3.94GPA, 167LSAT NU ED vs UT Austin ED

Post by splitmuch » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:35 am

Safety concerns with Streeterville? What? Do you think all doctors carry contagious diseases or something?

If you want to work in Texas, UT makes sense. If you want to work anywhere else, NU.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Yeah, have you ever been to Chicago? Streeterville is one of the safest areas. It is filled with law schools, med schools, hospitals and rich people. It is not where I would want to live, but it is not dangerous. You might want to retake the LSAT to make you more competitive for the ED NU, but you'll get admitted either way. Definitely NU over Texas unless you really want to be in TX and even then I would be nervous about big law. You should focus on the t13 since you need H1B. You should be in safely at NU, Duke, Cornell, and Michigan with some money.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm just hopping in to continue roasting the OP for thinking Streeterville is dangerous.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm just hopping in to continue roasting the OP for thinking Streeterville is dangerous.
The checkout line at Whole Foods on Friday evening can be a bit rough.

Are we neglecting a ribbing for selecting Chicago when weather is one of the three determinative factors? For five months of the year, the average temperature is below 50°F / 10°C.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abbyballet

New

Post by abbyballet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 pm

splitmuch wrote:Safety concerns with Streeterville? What? Do you think all doctors carry contagious diseases or something?

If you want to work in Texas, UT makes sense. If you want to work anywhere else, NU.
Thank you for your info! I have not had the chance to visit Chicago before and dont know much about Streeterville. its good to know now :D

abbyballet

New

Post by abbyballet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:Yeah, have you ever been to Chicago? Streeterville is one of the safest areas. It is filled with law schools, med schools, hospitals and rich people. It is not where I would want to live, but it is not dangerous. You might want to retake the LSAT to make you more competitive for the ED NU, but you'll get admitted either way. Definitely NU over Texas unless you really want to be in TX and even then I would be nervous about big law. You should focus on the t13 since you need H1B. You should be in safely at NU, Duke, Cornell, and Michigan with some money.
Thank you for your insights! I am very grateful. Sounds like t13 should be my target to make for big law. Can I ask if it is possible to RD NU and receive more than 130k with my numbers? I plan to apply as broadly as possible and maybe later negotiate scholarship package using offers from other schools, if that might seem like a reasonable plan.

NU is a wonderful school in terms of rigorous legal training and job placement. My worry is that Chicago is too cold. my kid has asthma and I really really want to live in someplace warmer. Since I dont have any chance for Stanford, I am thinking about applying to Berkeley and Duke partially for the sake of weather. Are there any other T13 with agreeable weather?

abbyballet

New

Post by abbyballet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:02 pm

albanach wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm just hopping in to continue roasting the OP for thinking Streeterville is dangerous.

Are we neglecting a ribbing for selecting Chicago when weather is one of the three determinative factors? For five months of the year, the average temperature is below 50°F / 10°C.
As someone who spent years in New England area, I shudder at the idea of living another three years with long freezing cold winters. :cry: :cry: Some place warm would be nice, like Berkeley, Duke, UCLA and USC.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:11 pm

abbyballet wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:Yeah, have you ever been to Chicago? Streeterville is one of the safest areas. It is filled with law schools, med schools, hospitals and rich people. It is not where I would want to live, but it is not dangerous. You might want to retake the LSAT to make you more competitive for the ED NU, but you'll get admitted either way. Definitely NU over Texas unless you really want to be in TX and even then I would be nervous about big law. You should focus on the t13 since you need H1B. You should be in safely at NU, Duke, Cornell, and Michigan with some money.
Thank you for your insights! I am very grateful. Sounds like t13 should be my target to make for big law. Can I ask if it is possible to RD NU and receive more than 130k with my numbers? I plan to apply as broadly as possible and maybe later negotiate scholarship package using offers from other schools, if that might seem like a reasonable plan.

NU is a wonderful school in terms of rigorous legal training and job placement. My worry is that Chicago is too cold. my kid has asthma and I really really want to live in someplace warmer. Since I dont have any chance for Stanford, I am thinking about applying to Berkeley and Duke partially for the sake of weather. Are there any other T13 with agreeable weather?
You might get some money from NU but not more than $130k, especially with a 167. If weather is that big of a factor, Berkeley and Duke are pretty much the only two where it is warm. Although it is only three years, your son will probably be ok in Chicago or Ann Arbor. So don't pick USC over Michigan just cause of weather

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

abbyballet wrote:
albanach wrote:

As someone who spent years in New England area, I shudder at the idea of living another three years with long freezing cold winters. :cry: :cry: Some place warm would be nice, like Berkeley, Duke, UCLA and USC.
Chicago winters are legitimately cold, but lol at 50F being the cut off for actual cold.

(OP, good luck, I’m afraid I jumped in just to comment on the weather.)

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:48 pm

nixy wrote:
abbyballet wrote:
albanach wrote:

Chicago winters are legitimately cold, but lol at 50F being the cut off for actual cold.

(OP, good luck, I’m afraid I jumped in just to comment on the weather.)
To be fair, I was considering above 50 degrees to be decent for outdoor activities as opposed to below 50 being cold. As someone living in a very similar climate to Chicago I think there's a pretty big area where it's not too cold, but hardly nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”