4.0 GPA/ 163 practice tests (taking in September) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stressingout

New

4.0 GPA/ 163 practice tests (taking in September)

Post by stressingout » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:49 am

So I've been studying for the LSAT this summer and am going to take it in September, but I wanted to know what my chances are for the T14 schools. I have a 4.0 GPA, and my average practice scores are around 160, but I need to break at least into 164 come test day. History and Political science double major with multiple research assistant positions at a decently ranked public school, just finished a fellowship thesis, and interned at law firms three summers in a row (including a really large one where I worked on some of the largest class actions suits in the country). I'm white, male, and Jewish, and was wondering if I should even mention being Jewish in my application. I'm really stressing out about the LSAT, but assuming I get a 163-164, what are my chances for a T14?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: 4.0 GPA/ 163 practice tests (taking in September)

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:02 pm

stressingout wrote:So I've been studying for the LSAT this summer and am going to take it in September, but I wanted to know what my chances are for the T14 schools. I have a 4.0 GPA, and my average practice scores are around 160, but I need to break at least into 164 come test day. History and Political science double major with multiple research assistant positions at a decently ranked public school, just finished a fellowship thesis, and interned at law firms three summers in a row (including a really large one where I worked on some of the largest class actions suits in the country). I'm white, male, and Jewish, and was wondering if I should even mention being Jewish in my application. I'm really stressing out about the LSAT, but assuming I get a 163-164, what are my chances for a T14?
1.) With a 4.0, your chances of a lower T-14 if you touch a 160. The reason for this is you'd be above their GPA median, and your LSAT score is not so objectively poor that schools would be skeptical of your ability to compete on the 1L curve.

That being said, I'd strongly push for a 170. Most of the t-14 will be out of play with a 163, and you should not expect to put forth your best performance on test day. If your general range in the weeks leading up to the test is a 160-163, it's much more likely you'd score a 160 than a 163.

There's also not a major benefit in applying with a September vs. October test score. Something else to note is that a 4.0/170 is going to open up doors to the higher ranked T-14 schools, likely with large scholarships so it makes little sense to rush into applying.

2.) No, I would not mention being Jewish. To the extent that Judaism can be categorized as a race and not merely a religion - something that has been the subject of much debate, it is certainly not a race that is underrepresented in the legal profession. Based on the small number of Jews and large number of Jewish lawyers, it is probably the most overrepresented demographic in the legal profession. In theory, being an Ashkenazi Jew could conceivably call more attention to a lower LSAT given the demographic's disproportionate success on standardized testing.

I don't think that being Jewish would work against you, but I don't think anyone will care so you'd only waste valuable real-estate. It certainly should not be the basis of a diversity statement. The one exception to this would be if there is something truly unique about the type of Judaism you practice or your experience with Judaism. For instance, if you were a gay chassidic Jew who mustered up the courage to come out despite the fear of being excommunicated, we're in strong diversity statement territory. Being chassidic would also be sufficient because you'd add some range of diversity to a classroom. Simply being a Jew who goes to temple on high holidays, doesn't dig on swine, and can read some Hebrew is not at all diverse in the law school world and shouldn't be mentioned in a law school application.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:25 pm

You should break 167 on the LSAT before applying, and preferably 170. This will get you lots of acceptances and big money. As far as Judaism is concerned, I would at least see it as a plus for job applications during law school because it's the sort of thing where an interviewer might also be Jewish and you can strike up a conversation about that. Best of luck on the LSAT!

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Wubbles wrote:You should break 167 on the LSAT before applying, and preferably 170. This will get you lots of acceptances and big money. As far as Judaism is concerned, I would at least see it as a plus for job applications during law school because it's the sort of thing where an interviewer might also be Jewish and you can strike up a conversation about that. Best of luck on the LSAT!
I'd be wary of this. In truth, people can generally tell if someone's Jewish of this based on the name, and this would only come up on a job application if you were part of some Jewish association.

I highly doubt any interviewer is going to directly ask OP about their religion during a job interview, and discuss religion with them. The most - and this would only apply if OP is from a religious background and the interviewer is - will be discussing particular Jewish restaurants and where they studied Talmud.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”