Sensible to retake in July? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
powerfail

New

Sensible to retake in July?

Post by powerfail » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:40 pm

I just scored a 174 on the June 2019 LSAT. My LSAC GPA is slightly above a 4.0 because of A+ grades. I will be applying to law school straight out of undergrad. I am trying to maximize my chances of admission and scholarships at the top law schools.

The deadline to register for the July LSAT was before June scores came out, so I decided to register in case I underperformed in June and wanted to retake. LSAC is offering a special deal for July test-takers because of the paper-to-digital transition: you can choose to cancel your score after seeing it. Under normal circumstances, I would be disinclined to retake after getting a 174, but I am thinking of doing so because:
(1) I've already paid for the July test,
(2) I can cancel the score after seeing it if it's lower than 174, and
(3) In the 10 practice tests I did in the month before the June test, my scores ranged from 172 to 180 with a mean of 175.9. So 174 is definitely within my normal range, but on the lower end.

Does it make sense to sit for the July test, or is it better to just withdraw? On one hand, it seems like there's nothing to lose. (My only slight worry is that schools might figure out that I did worse in July if I cancel, since the special July cancellation policy is well-known to everyone and lots of people are exploiting the opportunity.) I also don't mind the effort of retaking. But on the other hand, when I look at admission statistics on mylsn.info and lawschoolnumbers.com, there doesn't seem to be a clear improvement in outcomes as you go from 174 to 176 to 178 (with a 4.0 or 3.9 GPA). There is a clear improvement from 171 to 172 to 173 to 174--but it appears to stop right at that point. People definitely get waitlisted/rejected with a 174+, especially at Yale and Stanford. So maybe it's "soft factors" like impressive resume items, a good personal statement, and LORs that make all the difference at that level, and getting an extra couple of points on the LSAT wouldn't turn a waitlist into an acceptance. Thoughts?

As I mentioned, I'm also trying to maximize merit scholarships. Is going above a 174 likely to help with that?
Last edited by powerfail on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Sensible to retake in July?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:53 pm

There's no benefit to retaking for you. You've already hit the point of diminishing returns for the LSAT. And honestly, once you get past 173, it just becomes a crapshoot as to whether you can raise your score, even if you've consistently had practice tests in a higher range.

You're extremely competitive for full scholarships at CCN with your current numbers, and you're practically guaranteed a full ride in the lower T13. As you noted, Y/S admissions are mostly going to hinge on other factors.

Platopus

Gold

Re: Sensible to retake in July?

Post by Platopus » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:49 pm

I wouldn't retake. A 174 /4.0 is pretty much guaranteed in at H down, with $$$ at CCN

Return to “What are my chances?”