Admissions: What Are My Chances, ye wise TLS users

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cooperahearn

New

Admissions: What Are My Chances, ye wise TLS users

Postby cooperahearn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Okay fellers, give me a run down. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 164 LSAT. I go to an abysmal undergrad school (hint: woo pig sooie), but my softs are strong: multiple internships with two different district attorney's offices, internship with federal court, administrative position with real-estate law firm, three undergraduate research stints, Russian language proficiency, honors distinctions, and that stupid congressional internship that every poli-sci student ever does. I'm not an URM. Here are my top schools--I'd appreciate your opinion of my chances at each:

Georgetown
Cornell
University of Texas (I'm a TX in-state resident)
UCLA
University of Southern California
George Washington
Boston University

Yes, I've consulted LSN, LSAC, 7Sage, and that useless HourMD bs. Please don't make this a "JUST RETAKE" board. I'm a spoiled rich brat, so scholarship money is not that do-or-die to me.

Appreciate your help, ye wise ones.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Admissions: What Are My Chances, ye wise TLS users

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:48 am

What do you want to do with your degree, and where do you want to do it?

cooperahearn

New

Postby cooperahearn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:03 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:What do you want to do with your degree, and where do you want to do it?

I want to either be a gang/organized crime prosecutor (state or local) in either Los Angeles, Texas, or NYC, or a DoJ Attorney at Main Justice in DC. I’m too stupid for NYU/Columbia, so I haven’t really been looking at the New York area as seriously as the Southwest. I live in Dallas but have a decent statewide network. My current plan is to continue doing regular part-time stints w/ DA/USAO offices and apply for a judicial clerkship before I hit the ground running.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:26 pm

cooperahearn wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What do you want to do with your degree, and where do you want to do it?

I want to either be a gang/organized crime prosecutor (state or local) in either Los Angeles, Texas, or NYC, or a DoJ Attorney at Main Justice in DC. I’m too stupid for NYU/Columbia, so I haven’t really been looking at the New York area as seriously as the Southwest. I live in Dallas but have a decent statewide network. My current plan is to continue doing regular part-time stints w/ DA/USAO offices and apply for a judicial clerkship before I hit the ground running.

USAOs in New York or California are among the most competitive offices in the country, and same goes for any positions at DOJ. Texas USAOs are a special sort of beast, so I strongly encourage you to ask around about the different offices. Border courts are not the same as other federal courts. And the reality is that federal prosecution generally requires a few years in biglaw first (especially if you try to go straight to Main Justice without being a line prosecutor first).

Local prosecution is accessible from most regional schools, but I'll note that local prosecution in SF/LA/NYC is going to be extremely competitive. Those offices may be competitive in different ways than their counterpart federal offices, but they're still tough. I don't know how major Texas markets work, but I'd assume UT would be enough to get you to the Dallas or Houston DA.

All this is a long-winded way of saying "retake," though. You shouldn't be getting impostor syndrome this early in the game, and your GPA is gold. A few more points on the LSAT absolutely puts most of the T13 into play for you, and that makes the path to federal prosecution much more realistic (or at least much less dependent on specific things falling into place). If your dream is organized crime prosecution out of a major office or Main Justice, you absolutely have the potential to get there.

(This is all with the caveat that if you want to stay in Texas, UT with a significant scholarship would be a great option for you.)

cooperahearn

New

Postby cooperahearn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
cooperahearn wrote:

USAOs in New York or California are among the most competitive offices in the country, and same goes for any positions at DOJ. Texas USAOs are a special sort of beast, so I strongly encourage you to ask around about the different offices. Border courts are not the same as other federal courts. And the reality is that federal prosecution generally requires a few years in biglaw first (especially if you try to go straight to Main Justice without being a line prosecutor first).

Local prosecution is accessible from most regional schools, but I'll note that local prosecution in SF/LA/NYC is going to be extremely competitive. Those offices may be competitive in different ways than their counterpart federal offices, but they're still tough. I don't know how major Texas markets work, but I'd assume UT would be enough to get you to the Dallas or Houston DA.

All this is a long-winded way of saying "retake," though. You shouldn't be getting impostor syndrome this early in the game, and your GPA is gold. A few more points on the LSAT absolutely puts most of the T13 into play for you, and that makes the path to federal prosecution much more realistic (or at least much less dependent on specific things falling into place). If your dream is organized crime prosecution out of a major office or Main Justice, you absolutely have the potential to get there.

(This is all with the caveat that if you want to stay in Texas, UT with a significant scholarship would be a great option for you.)

I appreciate the advice! In your opinion, do you think USC or UCLA would carry enough pull to make me competitive for the LA DA? Perusing the California Bar records, it looks like most of their ADAs are Loyola/Southwestern grads—are they really that snooty about T13 stuff? Also, any insight on my chances of getting into UT (and the above listed schools) w/ my current credentials?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:01 pm

cooperahearn wrote:I appreciate the advice! In your opinion, do you think USC or UCLA would carry enough pull to make me competitive for the LA DA? Perusing the California Bar records, it looks like most of their ADAs are Loyola/Southwestern grads—are they really that snooty about T13 stuff? Also, any insight on my chances of getting into UT (and the above listed schools) w/ my current credentials?

I think UCLA/USC would be fine for the LA DA. I'd actually be a little shocked if the majority of new ADAs in that office were coming from Loyola or Southwestern. They're definitely going to not put as much emphasis on school prestige as on practical skills and internships, etc. But Southwestern has trouble getting its graduates any job at all, let alone a competitive government position.

MyLSN is going to give you a fairly accurate assessment of your chances. So decent chance at USC, less than a coin-flip everywhere else. And don't apply to BU if you don't want to live there. Just to remind you of the value of a retake: 3 more points on the LSAT gives you a good shot at NYU on down with the possibility of decent scholarships. 6 more points gives you a solid shot at full rides in the lower T13.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Postby icansortofmath » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Your goals are actually pretty ambitious. UCLA for regional placement may work but otherwise you really need to get in a better school.

cooperahearn

New

Postby cooperahearn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:32 pm

I appreciate the career advice, but (@anyone who has not done so already) I am a bit more interested in prospects of admission at the aforementioned schools. I am not a biglaw/USAOSDNY or bust person. I have a strong network of judges and hiring attorneys in several desired locations and a guaranteed spot with a family member's legal office if push comes to shove. That's not meant to sound haughty or dismissive--I really do appreciate the advice given so far! But if anyone has any insight (beyond the statistics of all mainstream admission prediction calculations--LSN, 7Sage, LSAC, etc), I would be extremely grateful. Thank you!

icansortofmath

Bronze

Postby icansortofmath » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 am

Run your numbers on MyLSN then. Your profile is relatively common and the %s you get will be pretty reliable.

My guess is you’d get in one of GULC/Cornell but probably not both.

Return to “What are my chances??