Low GPA from Top 5 undergrad, High LSAT (175), and strong WE Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
caspulday

New

Low GPA from Top 5 undergrad, High LSAT (175), and strong WE

Post by caspulday » Fri May 31, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi all,
My concern is largely what can offset a very low GPA from a prestigious undergrad that has grade deflation (2.99). The honest answer for why my grades were poor was pressure from my parents to take difficult classes in subjects I didn't want to study my freshman year (the result of immaturity), undiagnosed BPD, and my parents nearly getting divorced my senior year. However, I understand a lot of people go through worse things and get better grades, and don't expect those factors to compensate.

I do, however, have a strong LSAT and 3 years of work experience. I work for one of the most prestigious asset management firms in the world and have secured one promotion already (and likely a second this December). Prior to joining my firm, I worked in the development sector abroad doing a fellowship with my undergrad's business school. I am hoping that my ability to both get a job at a very selective firm and do well in it will show that I possess the ability to succeed in a demanding environment and indicate my maturity since college.

I don't want to be punished for making short-sighted and poor decisions when I was 17, and I welcome opinions on whether this helps or how best to make my case.

Happy to provide additional info, and thank you!

cavalier1138

Re: Low GPA from Top 5 undergrad, High LSAT (175), and strong WE

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Of the things you listed, only the undiagnosed BPD is going to be relevant to your application (assuming it has now been diagnosed and treated). It's one of the rare things that is worth a GPA addendum.

But even if your undergrad "deflates," grades, a 2.99 is a problem. Your LSAT is going to help you, and your work experience helps put a bit of distance between you and the GPA. But really, unless you can convince adcomms that your GPA was the result of an undiagnosed disorder that you now have under control (and can demonstrate that by showing good work ethic, etc.), you're not going to see different results than any other applicant with a sub-3.0 GPA. You're a super-splitter, and you should approach your cycle accordingly.

The good news is that super-splitters sometimes have great results. You won't get getting HYSCCN, but you have a shot at a lower T13 with that LSAT. And you might get a decent scholarship offer from a T20 or top regional school, which might be fine, depending on your career goals.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 31, 2019 3:46 pm

OP, is there a particular reason you want to go to law school? It's almost certainly going to be negative-ROI for you given your uGPA (which will make big scholarships hard to come by) and giving up what sounds like a high-paying job with opportunity for advancement.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri May 31, 2019 5:14 pm

holy shit dont go to law school

caspulday

New

Post by caspulday » Fri May 31, 2019 6:28 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:OP, is there a particular reason you want to go to law school? It's almost certainly going to be negative-ROI for you given your uGPA (which will make big scholarships hard to come by) and giving up what sounds like a high-paying job with opportunity for advancement.
I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was 16. Particular interest in con law. But after my freshman year grades I realised law school wasn’t going to happen, and went into finance. But I don’t enjoy it. It’s helped me develop a LOT of what I didn’t have in college (maturity, work ethic etc) but I have always regretted giving up on law school

WhittyJD

New

Post by WhittyJD » Fri May 31, 2019 7:39 pm

caspulday wrote:Hi all,
My concern is largely what can offset a very low GPA from a prestigious undergrad that has grade deflation (2.99). The honest answer for why my grades were poor was pressure from my parents to take difficult classes in subjects I didn't want to study my freshman year (the result of immaturity), undiagnosed BPD, and my parents nearly getting divorced my senior year. However, I understand a lot of people go through worse things and get better grades, and don't expect those factors to compensate.

I do, however, have a strong LSAT and 3 years of work experience. I work for one of the most prestigious asset management firms in the world and have secured one promotion already (and likely a second this December). Prior to joining my firm, I worked in the development sector abroad doing a fellowship with my undergrad's business school. I am hoping that my ability to both get a job at a very selective firm and do well in it will show that I possess the ability to succeed in a demanding environment and indicate my maturity since college.

I don't want to be punished for making short-sighted and poor decisions when I was 17, and I welcome opinions on whether this helps or how best to make my case.

Happy to provide additional info, and thank you!
Skip law school and stay in asset management. After a decade of tax law in firms and a Fortune 100 corporation, I joined a hedge fund to guide its offshore taxation and other tax law matters. Uncertain what you are doing currently, but focus on that second promotion and forget about law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”