Chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mfg28

New

Chances

Post by mfg28 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:30 am

3.11 GPA
2.98 LSDAS GPA
162 LSAT

What are my chances at SMU? LSN seems to show everyone above 161 in the last cycle as an Admit..how reliable is that website?

QContinuum

Re: Chances

Post by QContinuum » Sun May 26, 2019 6:45 pm

mfg28 wrote:3.11 GPA
2.98 LSDAS GPA
162 LSAT

What are my chances at SMU? LSN seems to show everyone above 161 in the last cycle as an Admit..how reliable is that website?
MyLSN is pretty reliable when there's enough data available. I'm not sure that's the case for you, as there were only 3 data points of SMU applicants in the past three cycles with sub-3.0 LSAC GPAs (2.8-2.99) and low-160s LSATs (160-164).

Generally, to have a more or less assured shot at getting into a particular school, you'd want both your LSAC GPA and LSAT to be >75%; and to have a decent chance you'd want both to be ~50%. Alternately, to have a decent chance as a splitter (low GPA below the school's GPA 25%, but a high LSAT), you'd want to have your LSAT > the school's LSAT 75%.

In this case your GPA is << SMU's 25%, and in fact <3.0, which is unfortunate because sub-3.0 GPAs are viewed as worse than >3.0 GPAs (even if both are << a school's 25%). So to compensate for that, you'd want your LSAT to be > SMU's 75%, which it isn't - you're only barely above their LSAT 50%. So you still might get into SMU, but it's far from assured and if you did get in, you'd probably be paying sticker or close to it (unless you happen to be a URM or have an incredible + incredibly rare soft). Best thing to do would be to retake the LSAT and squeeze a few more points out of it. With a 164+ you'd be over SMU's LSAT 75%.

mfg28

New

Re: Chances

Post by mfg28 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:39 am

Ok, yeah, that helps. I see what you mean about it - LSN - being helpful if you have enough meaningful data.

I came across this information as well: https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/ ... px?sid=139

Unless I’m mis-reading the Admissions data at the bottom, 18 of 22 applications with my Adjusted GPA and LSAT score were admitted - about 81% of applications. Whereas something like 99% of all applicants with an LSAT above 165 were admitted, regardless of GPA. So, the conclusion is that 162 offers a pretty good chance at acceptance (but likely at or near sticker price) while 165 or better is pretty much a surefire way to get accepted and with a decent scholarship?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Return to “What are my chances?”