LSAT 176/GPA: S(Chinese KJD); Strong Softs; 2 RL from YLS Alumni Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
astrayforyou

New

LSAT 176/GPA: S(Chinese KJD); Strong Softs; 2 RL from YLS Alumni

Post by astrayforyou » Wed May 08, 2019 8:47 am

Hi guys,

I’m Claire from China. Wanna know my chances in the coming application season :D

Personal info:
LSAT: 176
GPA: S ( International students)
College: PKU (Top 2 in China)
Major: Liberal Arts, Class of 2020
Exchange: one semester in HYPMS
Softs:
One publication in SSCI(field of gender study)
Co-Founder of a tech startup(social entrepreneur)
RA experiences in China top colleges
Intern in Chinese top law firms & UN
Leader of college student clubs

RL: 2 academic RL from T3 JD alumni & one strong from Assistant Professor (HYPMS)

What are my odds, T3/T6/T14¿
How about scholarships

Thanks sooooo much!

BKB

New

Re: LSAT 176/GPA: S(Chinese KJD); Strong Softs; 2 RL from YLS Alumni

Post by BKB » Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Good chance at H. Y/S are always hard to predict for foreign applicants. Should at least get 1 T6.

astrayforyou

New

Post by astrayforyou » Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am

BKB wrote:Good chance at H. Y/S are always hard to predict for foreign applicants. Should at least get 1 T6.
Thanks BKB :D
But, just curious, is there any way for international students to increase the admission odds of Y?
Retake LSAT and get higher LSAT?More strong RL from YLS alumni or professors?Highly unique Softs?
By the way, do you have any idea how they distinguish “strong Softs” from just average?
I know there was one Chinese guy in 2016(also KJD) who received offers from Y & H. His LSAT is 176.

Any comments, concerns, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated :D

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 pm

astrayforyou wrote:
BKB wrote:Good chance at H. Y/S are always hard to predict for foreign applicants. Should at least get 1 T6.
But, just curious, is there any way for international students to increase the admission odds of Y?
Retake LSAT and get higher LSAT?More strong RL from YLS alumni or professors?Highly unique Softs?
By the way, do you have any idea how they distinguish “strong Softs” from just average?
I know there was one Chinese guy in 2016(also KJD) who received offers from Y & H. His LSAT is 176.

Retaking the LSAT would be pointless for you, and letters of recommendation are mostly pointless for everyone, especially random ones from people with YLS connections. You have a decent chance, and really the only thing you could do to help yourself would be to go back in time and get a 4.0 from an American university, win an Olympic medal in your free time, or create the next facebook. You'll probably get into Harvard and full rides elsewhere so I wouldn't put too much into getting into 1 school.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu May 09, 2019 9:49 pm

astrayforyou wrote:

if you want to guarantee admission to Y/S, donate $10 million. (I'm half-joking.) your current softs are not going to move the needle, and starting a club or something isn't going to impress the admissions committee.

"strong softs" are like, getting a Marshall scholarship, being a combat veteran, winning an Olympic medal, having a PhD from a fancy school and publishing something, etc. ie, things that you can't do in three months to get into your favorite law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zuglin

New

Post by Zuglin » Sun May 12, 2019 12:40 am

Tbh, you have a good chance... so just out of curiosity, if it’s not too offensive... what’s your admissions?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun May 12, 2019 12:43 am

Zuglin wrote:Tbh, you have a good chance... so just out of curiosity, if it’s not too offensive... what’s your admissions?
I believe OP hasn't applied yet. They seem to be planning on applying in the upcoming (2019-2020) cycle.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun May 12, 2019 12:55 am

At least one of CCN is very likely, and H is likely. Y is unlikely.

Zuglin

New

Post by Zuglin » Sun May 12, 2019 1:10 am

QContinuum wrote:
Zuglin wrote:Tbh, you have a good chance... so just out of curiosity, if it’s not too offensive... what’s your admissions?
I believe OP hasn't applied yet. They seem to be planning on applying in the upcoming (2019-2020) cycle.
Oh yeah.. you are right. Interesting to see the results. I know the Chinese guy enrolled YLS actually. It’s not outstanding grade/soft/RL but the great potentiality matters

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

harryzhang

New

Post by harryzhang » Sun May 26, 2019 3:22 am

Wild Card wrote:At least one of CCN is very likely, and H is likely. Y is unlikely.
lol why Yale is unlikely?

miskellyjohnson

New

Post by miskellyjohnson » Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 am

harryzhang wrote:
Wild Card wrote:At least one of CCN is very likely, and H is likely. Y is unlikely.
Y is always unlikely. Their faculty review process introduces a decent amount of randomness, especially for international kids (but also for domestic applicants). Some faculty will rate a kid top scores, and another will rate them bottom scores. A decent amount of randomness and luck in the draw (in addition to having great credentials, obviously) make it unlikely for anyone.

harryzhang

New

Post by harryzhang » Sun May 26, 2019 1:45 pm

miskellyjohnson wrote:
harryzhang wrote:
Y is always unlikely. Their faculty review process introduces a decent amount of randomness, especially for international kids (but also for domestic applicants). Some faculty will rate a kid top scores, and another will rate them bottom scores. A decent amount of randomness and luck in the draw (in addition to having great credentials, obviously) make it unlikely for anyone.
Yeah...That's correct. The whole Yale admission process is basically a lottery.

harryzhang

New

Post by harryzhang » Sun May 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Take a few years off between undergraduate and law school either in China or the U.S. and do interesting stuff! For softs, especially for Yale, I think it's better to pursue what you really want to do and what you are genuinely interested in instead of doing fancy stuff in order to impress admission officers. Alternatively, you could apply for some prestigious fellowships, such as Rhodes Scholar, Schwarzman Scholar, Yenching Scholar, etc., in order to boost your odds of Yale.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”