166/3.9 - Which T14 school could I get into? (RD/ED) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wingate2350

New

166/3.9 - Which T14 school could I get into? (RD/ED)

Post by wingate2350 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:53 am

Hi guys,

I have a 166 and 3.9 from Johns Hopkins (non-URM, white male with average softs), and my goal is to attend a T14 school and work at a NY BigLaw firm after graduation. At which of the T14 schools would I have the best chances of admission? I've checked myLSN, but the sample size seems insufficiently large and I'm noticing slightly different admissions patterns in recent years (?).

ALSO, I am the recipient of a governmental scholarship that would pay for my graduate education, so I am also strongly considering ED to improve my chances of admission. Where would I have the best chance of admission if I applied ED?

My top choices are Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown, Chicago, NYU. My dream/reach schools are Columbia and Penn.

I would greatly appreciate some insight. Thank you very much.

cavalier1138

Re: 166/3.9 - Which T14 school could I get into? (RD/ED)

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:30 am

ED generally doesn't increase your chances of admission (though UVA may be an exception to that rule). If your goal is T13 acceptance, you have an ok shot with your current stats. You'd be a lock at most schools with a few more points on the LSAT.

Also, how did you come up with your specific school list? It seems somewhat arbitrary, and my hunch is that you're treating this like the undergrad school search.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:40 am

wingate2350 wrote:Hi guys,

I have a 166 and 3.9 from Johns Hopkins (non-URM, white male with average softs), and my goal is to attend a T14 school and work at a NY BigLaw firm after graduation. At which of the T14 schools would I have the best chances of admission? I've checked myLSN, but the sample size seems insufficiently large and I'm noticing slightly different admissions patterns in recent years (?).

ALSO, I am the recipient of a governmental scholarship that would pay for my graduate education, so I am also strongly considering ED to improve my chances of admission. Where would I have the best chance of admission if I applied ED?

My top choices are Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown, Chicago, NYU. My dream/reach schools are Columbia and Penn.

I would greatly appreciate some insight. Thank you very much.
Looks like you should blanket the T13 from Chicago on down. Your best chances seem to be at Cornell and Northwestern.
But look at your chances if you manage to squeeze even as few as a measly 3 extra points out of the LSAT! You'd go from being a reach at any school above Northwestern, to almost a sure thing at NYU.
It's a sea change.

Further, does your governmental scholarship (congrats!) cover taxes? Unless it specifically says so, the default is that any amounts you receive - even if you use the money only toward tuition or required textbooks - is taxable income to you, which means law school won't "really" be free (i.e., if the government pays $200k toward your law school expenses, you'll be taxed as if the government had directly paid you $200k in salary).

So, unless the governmental scholarship covers taxes, it still makes sense to maximize the amount of merit aid you get from your future law school. (Law school scholarships aren't considered taxable income to recipients.)

I also echo cavalier's puzzlement at your school list. Why is Penn a "reach" school and NYU a "top choice"? NYU is generally considered stronger than Penn.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:27 pm

I would also add that if your GPA is actually a 3.9 and not a 3.89 or something, Chicago accepts nearly every candidate with a 3.9 and 166.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:59 pm

You absolutely should retake, don't waste your background. 3.9 from Hopkins + a few more points, are looking at HYS or t14 with BIG money

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Really consider a retake. I had a 3.88/166 (single take) and didn't get into any of the T14 (however, I didn't apply to GULC, Cornell, or Northwestern, so maybe that's why). I was waitlisted at a few but didn't ride them out.

I imagine you'd get into Georgetown, and it's worth applying to Berkeley, Cornell, Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”