3.91 / 171 / 1 year WE as a Federal Consultant Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DCnewguy

New

3.91 / 171 / 1 year WE as a Federal Consultant

Post by DCnewguy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi all,

Going to be applying to law school this upcoming cycle. I currently live in DC and would like to stay here so I’m hoping to go to Georgetown with a scholarship. I think my stats are good and my work experience is at a well respected consulting firm working adjacent to an agencies office of general counsel.

I’ll be applying to all of the T14 outside of CA and NY with a goal of Doing Biglaw Lit or a Federal honors program. Do I have a chance at substantial aid at Georgetown? I am open to move for a few years for school but still want to end up in DC.

Any conversation or tips about this topic + predictions about where I may get substantial aid would be welcome (if anywhere).

Thanks.

QContinuum

Re: 3.91 / 171 / 1 year WE as a Federal Consultant

Post by QContinuum » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:33 pm

DCnewguy wrote:Hi all,

Going to be applying to law school this upcoming cycle. I currently live in DC and would like to stay here so I’m hoping to go to Georgetown with a scholarship. I think my stats are good and my work experience is at a well respected consulting firm working adjacent to an agencies office of general counsel.

I’ll be applying to all of the T14 outside of CA and NY with a goal of Doing Biglaw Lit or a Federal honors program. Do I have a chance at substantial aid at Georgetown? I am open to move for a few years for school but still want to end up in DC.

Any conversation or tips about this topic + predictions about where I may get substantial aid would be welcome (if anywhere).

Thanks.
Sounds like you'll do very well. But don't limit yourself to only applying to 8 out of 13 T13s. Even if you are dead set on never working in CA or NY, you should still apply to Berkeley, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and Stanford, at least for leverage for scholarship negotiations if nothing else. Certainly you should attend any of the T13s over Georgetown - Georgetown's a terrific law school, but places more in line with the traditional T20s than with the T13 schools.

jsnow212

Bronze

Re: 3.91 / 171 / 1 year WE as a Federal Consultant

Post by jsnow212 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:45 am

DCnewguy wrote:
Georgetown practices a hard-to-predict mix of yield-protect and stinginess. You might get something approaching a full-ride or a WL or an acceptance with zero aid at Gtown with your stats. Therefore, it becomes incredibly important to broadly apply to the T14 schools.

The T6, Duke, and UVA are more effective at placing students into desirable DC jobs than GULC.

You will do fine applying broadly with your given stats. However, if you were PTing higher than 171 and think you can pull out a 173/174...you are looking at multiple full-rides in the T10. Something to consider.

Return to “What are my chances?”