Chance me!! 3.3x, 168, STEM major, 3-4 years of work experience Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
seoul1819

New

Chance me!! 3.3x, 168, STEM major, 3-4 years of work experience

Post by seoul1819 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 am

Hey guys. I was a non-traditional applicant with 3.3x and 168 for the 18-19 cycle. I had to apply really late into the cycle because I kept retaking the LSAT. I got 166, 168, and 167 in sequence, and thought about waiting to apply in the next cycle but decided against it and ended up submitting the apps in early-mid February. I only applied to T20, and so far I have a rejection from NU and waitlists from Cornell (no interview), UT (interview), and WUSTL (no interview).

With all that said, I know that the smart thing for me to do would be to retake the June or September LSAT and reapply by October. And it might be the only option for me if I end up not getting any acceptances at all from this cycle (which now seems like a very real possibility).

But assuming that my LSAT score does not change (I score in low-mid 170s on practice tests but have always bombed standardized tests because of anxiety issues), do you think I need to adjust my school list? I understand that applying early in the cycle gives you a better chance in landing scholarships, but does it change your admission chances as well? If it doesn't significantly, I would need to adjust my list to add more reach & safety schools. I am still waiting to hear back from 9 more schools... do you think there is a chance I would get in so late? Or are these schools "ghosting" me until a reject in the final wave?

Just to provide more info, I'm a STEM major with 3-4 years of work experience (but not in a STEM field) and moderate softs. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks so much!!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Chance me!! 3.3x, 168, STEM major, 3-4 years of work experience

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Why do you want to go to law school? With a 3.3 and a high 160's LSAT you're unlikely to get the kind of outcomes (good school at a good price) that will set you up for a better career than your STEM degree already qualifies you for.

I ask because it's very determinative of your best path forward, but in a nutshell: yes, applying earlier makes a big difference.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:06 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:Why do you want to go to law school? With a 3.3 and a high 160's LSAT you're unlikely to get the kind of outcomes (good school at a good price) that will set you up for a better career than your STEM degree already qualifies you for.

I ask because it's very determinative of your best path forward, but in a nutshell: yes, applying earlier makes a big difference.
Agree with the gist of the above but I just want to note that OP's STEM degree may not actually qualify them for a promising STEM career. There are loads of unemployed and underemployed STEM degree holders in the U.S., especially folks whose degrees are from a low-ranked college or in a less in-demand STEM niche. OP themselves notes that their WE is in a non-STEM field. Possibly that was due to choice, but also possibly that could have been due to an inability to secure a decent STEM job. A B.S. in, say, Biology or Psychology isn't worth too much standing alone, unless it happens to be from a top school, and in that case the value would come from the school's brand and not from the STEM major.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm

QContinuum wrote:
The Lsat Airbender wrote:Why do you want to go to law school? With a 3.3 and a high 160's LSAT you're unlikely to get the kind of outcomes (good school at a good price) that will set you up for a better career than your STEM degree already qualifies you for.

Agree with the gist of the above but I just want to note that OP's STEM degree may not actually qualify them for a promising STEM career. There are loads of unemployed and underemployed STEM degree holders in the U.S., especially folks whose degrees are from a low-ranked college or in a less in-demand STEM niche. OP themselves notes that their WE is in a non-STEM field. Possibly that was due to choice, but also possibly that could have been due to an inability to secure a decent STEM job. A B.S. in, say, Biology or Psychology isn't worth too much standing alone, unless it happens to be from a top school, and in that case the value would come from the school's brand and not from the STEM major.
I agree! I'd note too, though, that this plays on both sides of the fence. If OP's degree isn't in-demand on it's own then it's (almost by definition) also not going to make them much more competitive on the legal market, unless mere patent-bar eligibility has gotten a lot more valuable since I last checked. Either way I'm not sure that OP will get a ton of value-add out of law school at 3.3/168 unless they have discrete, realistic goals that require a JD.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:22 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:I agree! I'd note too, though, that this plays on both sides of the fence. If OP's degree isn't in-demand on it's own then it's (almost by definition) also not going to make them much more competitive on the legal market, unless mere patent-bar eligibility has gotten a lot more valuable since I last checked. Either way I'm not sure that OP will get a ton of value-add out of law school at 3.3/168 unless they have discrete, realistic goals that require a JD.
Very well put and entirely seconded. The kinds of STEM backgrounds that make one attractive for patent work generally also make one attractive for a STEM career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”