4.1/159 - chances at T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Lawgirl96

New

4.1/159 - chances at T14?

Post by Lawgirl96 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi,

I took the LSAT 3 times. My highest was my 2nd time, which was a 159. Third retake was bad, so I gave up on retaking and decided to move on with my score. I'm an undergrad honor senior. But, I have 2 years of work experience at a law firm (working while in school full-time) + semester of court internship. I'm also a first generation college student and a relatively new immigrant. What are my chances at a T14 school?

Thanks

QContinuum

Re: 4.1/159 - chances at T14?

Post by QContinuum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Not good. You might get into UVA, but even if you get in, you'll almost certainly be stuck paying sticker.

Don't waste your 4.1 on a sub-160 LSAT. I get that you've taken it 3 times, but there's no upper limit on how many times you can retake the test, and schools only consider your highest score. Doing well on the LSAT could literally be worth >$250k in post-tax money (>$400k in gross income) - and that's assuming you even get into a T13 at all with your current LSAT. I realize not everyone can get a 170+ on the LSAT, but there's really no reason you can't get into the mid-160s at least. You need to study right, not just brute-force take the test again and again (which, as you've seen, does not lead to significant improvement - after all, you're merely repeating what you've already done before).

notrub14

New

Post by notrub14 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am

Lawgirl96 wrote:Hi,

I took the LSAT 3 times. My highest was my 2nd time, which was a 159. Third retake was bad, so I gave up on retaking and decided to move on with my score. I'm an undergrad honor senior. But, I have 2 years of work experience at a law firm (working while in school full-time) + semester of court internship. I'm also a first generation college student and a relatively new immigrant. What are my chances at a T14 school?

Thanks
How have you studied for the LSAT to this point? What materials have you used? How much time have you put in?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 am

Lawgirl96 wrote:Hi,
I'm also a first generation college student and a relatively new immigrant. What are my chances at a T14 school?
How's your English? I ask only because that LSAT after three attempts is unusual when compared to your outstanding GPA. The LSAT does demand excellent English comprehension.

And, as was asked above, how did you study? Have you followed the guides here? You really need to figure this out and retake the LSAT - there's a couple of hundred thousand dollars at stake over the next three years and, depending on your career goals, several million in potential future career earnings.

Lawgirl96

New

Post by Lawgirl96 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Thank you all for your replies!
I initially took a Testmaster's course before my 1st attempt, and then continued to study by myself using questions from real PTs only. I think my busy schedule interfered with my performance, because I was working 9am-6pm when I took the course in the summer leaving little time for homework. And then, I started school while working at the same time, which made things even harder. I was mostly doing LSAT questions on my office lunch break or during class.. My English is good given that I got an A+ in my upper level casses that required writing dense papers. But, I still think that it was kind of hard under the time restriction of the test given that my native language is something else and the language I learnt in mid/high school is different than both my native one and English. I had to read some stimuli twice to really analyze it in depth, and that is impossible under LSAT time pressure. My third retake frustrated me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:52 pm

How have you been doing on logic games? If you're not turning in perfect logic games sections, then that's an easy area for improvement.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 pm

QContinuum wrote:How have you been doing on logic games? If you're not turning in perfect logic games sections, then that's an easy area for improvement.
Logical reasoning is easy too. 11 more questions gets OP full scholarships at most t-14's, and would also make law school exams easier. Recognizing the holes in the arguments you make isn't sufficient to grading onto law review, but it sure as hell is necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”