Applying late to lower tier schools, what are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pokemoto

New

Applying late to lower tier schools, what are my chances?

Post by pokemoto » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:14 pm

I started my law school research late, so unfortunately I can only take the March LSAT.
I've been studying for a month and am hitting 160's consistently on timed, 6 section PTs.
I hit a high of 165 twice. But I'm confident the absolute lowest score I'll get is a 158.. maybe 157.. But that's only if I really freak out and lose my cool or something. Otherwise I'm pretty comfortable getting 160's.
My GPA was 2.85

So my top choices that I'd take with scholarship are Uconn, Quinnipiac, and Umaine.

My top choices I'd consider without scholarships are North Dakota, CUNY, and SUNY.

I know that when you apply late you miss a lot of scholarship money, and that spots fill up. I am still applying because I've been looking at law school data (specifically on this site: https://www.lawschooldata.org/school/ap ... ns+College)
And though not everyone is applying late, there are kids who apply late to the schools I'm targeting and get in.

So my question is.. Has anyone here been in a similar boat?

Also, I am fully prepared to wait until next cycle, I'd just really prefer to get in this year. And I know all the ramifications and possibilities that come with it. If I wait a year, I could get into a better school, maybe with a better LSAT and better scholarships, etc, etc. But I'm still applying to take a chance and see what happens.

Has anyone been here before?

nealric

Re: Applying late to lower tier schools, what are my chances?

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 am

Please don't do it!

It's not worth sacrificing your future career and potentially $100k+ in scholarship money. If you are hitting mid 160s after a month of studying, 170+ is in the cards after real studying, which will make a world of difference. Even with a low GPA, that gives you a shot at T14s or a full ride at several schools ranked far higher than any you mentioned.

A month of studying is not enough. Study like your life depends on it. Study until your eyes bleed. Study until most of your dreams are about the LSAT. Then, after you can absolutely take it no more, take the exam for real. If you don't score a 170+, rinse and repeat at least 2 more times or until you do. There's an easy way and a hard way to start a legal career. By far, the easiest way is to do the work on the LSAT on the front end.

I'd also note that you are talking about schools that are totally all over the place geographically. Do you actually want to live and work in North Dakota or Maine? Because if you don't and have no ties there, you do not want to go to school there. Unless you are attending a T14, do not attend a school located away from where you plan to practice.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 am

pokemoto wrote:I started my law school research late, so unfortunately I can only take the March LSAT.
I've been studying for a month and am hitting 160's consistently on timed, 6 section PTs.
I hit a high of 165 twice. But I'm confident the absolute lowest score I'll get is a 158.. maybe 157.. But that's only if I really freak out and lose my cool or something. Otherwise I'm pretty comfortable getting 160's.
My GPA was 2.85

So my top choices that I'd take with scholarship are Uconn, Quinnipiac, and Umaine.

My top choices I'd consider without scholarships are North Dakota, CUNY, and SUNY.

I know that when you apply late you miss a lot of scholarship money, and that spots fill up. I am still applying because I've been looking at law school data (specifically on this site: https://www.lawschooldata.org/school/ap ... ns+College)
And though not everyone is applying late, there are kids who apply late to the schools I'm targeting and get in.

So my question is.. Has anyone here been in a similar boat?

Also, I am fully prepared to wait until next cycle, I'd just really prefer to get in this year. And I know all the ramifications and possibilities that come with it. If I wait a year, I could get into a better school, maybe with a better LSAT and better scholarships, etc, etc. But I'm still applying to take a chance and see what happens.

Has anyone been here before?
Let’s begin a little more simply.

Why is it imperative that you attend LS this fall?

And FYI because your parents will be mean to you if you don’t and/or you don’t have a job for the fall and/or you can’t take your job a second longer are objectively insufficient reasons.

popgoestheweasel

New

Post by popgoestheweasel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:16 pm

We don't need to rehash why OP will get scammed. I'll just leave this for him or her if QU and uconn are on the list: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=275082

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”