2.91 cGPA, 177 LSAT Chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
canuk95

New

2.91 cGPA, 177 LSAT Chances

Post by canuk95 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello!
I am a Canadian student from a top Canadian university interested in furthering my studies in the US. I have a terrible cGPA but a decent LSAT and was wondering if I'd have a shot at Top 20 schools in the states. Thanks!

albanach

Gold

Re: 2.91 cGPA, 177 LSAT Chances

Post by albanach » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 pm

canuk95 wrote:Hello!
I am a Canadian student from a top Canadian university interested in furthering my studies in the US. I have a terrible cGPA but a decent LSAT and was wondering if I'd have a shot at Top 20 schools in the states. Thanks!
There's almost no data so it's a guessing game. Is there any mitigating reason for your GPA? How far out from school are you? Don't suppose you're a URM?

I think you'd be applying everywhere. I'd bet you have a shot somewhere in the T-20 range, but whether or not that comes with any money would be anyone's guess.

You can't improve your numbers at all, so I'd advise applying to every school in the T-20 minus HYS because you're not getting in to those schools. Your personal statement should be excellent. You've plenty of time before applications open, so craft a strong Why X essay for every school, using research to draw upon factors unique to that school and make it sincere.

If you have no success, I'd wait a few years to separate you further from school and show you can be successful professionally, then try again.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:35 pm

albanach wrote:
There's almost no data so it's a guessing game. Is there any mitigating reason for your GPA? How far out from school are you? Don't suppose you're a URM?

I think you'd be applying everywhere. I'd bet you have a shot somewhere in the T-20 range, but whether or not that comes with any money would be anyone's guess.

You can't improve your numbers at all, so I'd advise applying to every school in the T-20 minus HYS because you're not getting in to those schools. Your personal statement should be excellent. You've plenty of time before applications open, so craft a strong Why X essay for every school, using research to draw upon factors unique to that school and make it sincere.

If you have no success, I'd wait a few years to separate you further from school and show you can be successful professionally, then try again.
On that note, it's always a good idea to visit schools you have a strong interest in. You get an opportunity to meet with professors and students (if you talk with the schools, professors, and students ahead of time) which can help you strengthen your Why X essays.

canuk95

New

Post by canuk95 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:38 pm

albanach wrote:
canuk95 wrote:Hello!

Hi, thanks for your response. I don't think it would count as a mitigating reason, but my undergraduate was in engineering science and I was co-founder of a start-up in machine vision which kept me away from classes. I would essentially only write midterms and finals, never really attended lectures, but you can't put that in an essay haha.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 pm

I forgot to add - you might want to research whether the schools are splitter-friendly or not. Some schools are traditionally known to be more splitter-friendly (ones off my head are NYU [though probably not to your GPA, though I'm not 100% sure either way], UVA, and NU). I personally do think you could get into at least one T13 but whether it'll be worth it or not will be up for a guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:25 pm

Aren't Canadian universities still foreign universities? In that case, OP's going to receive a letter grade evaluation from LSAC. Possibly will be an "Average" - since schools don't need to report OP's uGPA, it might be a mitigating factor in OP's favor.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Lxwind wrote:Aren't Canadian universities still foreign universities? In that case, OP's going to receive a letter grade evaluation from LSAC. Possibly will be an "Average" - since schools don't need to report OP's uGPA, it might be a mitigating factor in OP's favor.
No, my understanding is that LSAC treats Canadian GPAs just like U.S. GPAs.

I second albanach's advice to blanket the T20. I'd expect OP to get in to at least one or two schools in the 14-20 range (possibly with some money, especially at WUSTL which tends to be generous), and maybe even one of the lower T13s (though probably at sticker). But the cycle will be unpredictable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”