UT Austin w/aid

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zoehr

New

UT Austin w/aid

Postby zoehr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:33 pm

LSAT 170
GPA 3.9
Majored in Political Philosophy at U of A

No impressive extra-curriculars. Did mock trial for 2 years, model UN for a year, worked as a writing tutor for 2 years, did a foreign exchange in high school and speak French. Pretty much it. No internships or anything like that. Can get decent letters of rec from distinguished philosophers.

I’m gunning for UT Austin but need financial aid. Won’t qualify for need based scholarships but my parents sure as hell aren’t paying my tuition. What are my chances of getting in w/ merit based aid?

The Lsat Airbender

Bronze

Re: UT Austin w/aid

Postby The Lsat Airbender » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm

You have good chances at getting substantial merit aid. I would strongly advise blanketing the T14 with applications (your numbers should get you some fee waivers) so that you either have 1) even better options that UT (your numbers qualify you for a full ride at some T14s) or 2) negotiating ammo.

Wubbles

Bronze

Postby Wubbles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Seconding. You should get a full ride to UT, but ultimately will receive a large enough scholarship to a t13 to make it worth attending a better school. Assuming you have ties to Texas going to somewhere like Northwestern with $180k makes a lot of sense

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:22 pm

I third LSAT Airbender and Wubbles' advice to blanket the T13. UT is a very strong law school, but pales in comparison to the T13 when it comes to placement power. With your stats you're in line for substantial merit aid at the T13. (Don't worry about your lack of softs, law school admissions are notoriously and almost exclusively numbers-based.)

Return to “What are my chances??