172 / 3.56 / Professional Ballet Dancer Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
connorpro

New

172 / 3.56 / Professional Ballet Dancer

Post by connorpro » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:47 pm

I earned my BFA at a top conservatory and worked for four years as a dancer and choreographer at a relatively prestigious ballet company. I wrote a personal statement describing the experiences that led to my interest in law and a GPA addendum explaining how injuries and my desire to land a job in the highly competitive dance world diverted my focus from academics while in school.

I submitted apps to all schools in the T14 (minus UVA and Georgetown) plus UCLA, USC, Fordham, and Vandy. My dream schools are Columbia and NYU. My LSN gives me some hope... I'm wondering whether my non-traditional background will help or hurt my chances at reach and target schools, especially those that favor high GPA's.

Npret

Gold

Re: 172 / 3.56 / Professional Ballet Dancer

Post by Npret » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:55 pm

connorpro wrote:I earned my BFA at a top conservatory and worked for four years as a dancer and choreographer at a relatively prestigious ballet company. I wrote a personal statement describing the experiences that led to my interest in law and a GPA addendum explaining how injuries and my desire to land a job in the highly competitive dance world diverted my focus from academics while in school.

I submitted apps to all schools in the T14 (minus UVA and Georgetown) plus UCLA, USC, Fordham, and Vandy. My dream schools are Columbia and NYU. My LSN gives me some hope... I'm wondering whether my non-traditional background will help or hurt my chances at reach and target schools, especially those that favor high GPA's.
I think your background will only help you in admissions. You have an interesting soft and one that showcases you as a serious, dedicated person in your life. Everyone knows the dedication ballet requires at the professional level.
Whether it will compensate for your GPA is hard to predict. Maybe you could ask an admissions expert for advice if you don’t get acceptances you want this cycle.

QContinuum

Re: 172 / 3.56 / Professional Ballet Dancer

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Npret wrote:I think your background will only help you in admissions. You have an interesting soft and one that showcases you as a serious, dedicated person in your life. Everyone knows the dedication ballet requires at the professional level.
Whether it will compensate for your GPA is hard to predict. Maybe you could ask an admissions expert for advice if you don’t get acceptances you want this cycle.
I agree with Npret that the professional ballet background will help.

I also think that, just based on OP's numbers, they are almost certain to get into the T13, including with merit aid. I think it was wise for OP to apply to select schools in the T20 to compare scholarship offers. Not sure why OP didn't apply to UVA but, absent a compelling personal reason, I highly recommend applying to Virginia. It looks like one of the schools OP's most likely to get into. OP might also consider applying to UT.

Return to “What are my chances?”