Do I have any chance? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Wineburg

New

Do I have any chance?

Post by Wineburg » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:06 am

I sense there will be some groaning here... but I am looking at applying to T-14 and especially HLS or SLS but I honestly don't think I have any kind of chance at HS because of my undergraduate GPA even though otherwise I've got a lot of other things working in my favor. I know my stats are not HYS but I wonder if my softs will make up for it (although I realize I may be experiencing some wishful thinking)

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.45, undergrad at UVA
LSAT: 179
- two masters degrees, one from UVA & another from Arizona State
- I have a PhD from the University of Birmingham in the UK (I studied out of the country for a while)
- taught high school history/government for seven years
- formerly an adjunct for a community college, now an adjunct for a t-30 undergraduate institution
- first generation college student
- Non-urm

Do I have any chance at all at HYS? I know there's an outside chance at H just based on my stats, but most of what I've seen indicates I'm pretty much locked out of Yale and Stanford.

QContinuum

Re: Do I have any chance?

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:06 pm

It sounds like you have a really interesting background. If you're able to spin that into a super compelling "why law" PS, I don't think Y/S are necessarily out of reach. They're long shots for any applicant.

Wineburg

New

Post by Wineburg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:26 pm

QContinuum wrote:It sounds like you have a really interesting background. If you're able to spin that into a super compelling "why law" PS, I don't think Y/S are necessarily out of reach. They're long shots for any applicant.
Thanks for the encouragement! I can only hope so..

Do you think I have any chances at money at Columbia-Duke?

jmcali19

New

Post by jmcali19 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Wineburg wrote:I sense there will be some groaning here... but I am looking at applying to T-14 and especially HLS or SLS but I honestly don't think I have any kind of chance at HS because of my undergraduate GPA even though otherwise I've got a lot of other things working in my favor. I know my stats are not HYS but I wonder if my softs will make up for it (although I realize I may be experiencing some wishful thinking)

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.45, undergrad at UVA
LSAT: 179
- two masters degrees, one from UVA & another from Arizona State
- I have a PhD from the University of Birmingham in the UK (I studied out of the country for a while)
- taught high school history/government for seven years
- formerly an adjunct for a community college, now an adjunct for a t-30 undergraduate institution
- first generation college student
- Non-urm

Do I have any chance at all at HYS? I know there's an outside chance at H just based on my stats, but most of what I've seen indicates I'm pretty much locked out of Yale and Stanford.
I think you have a chance given UVA undergrad and also all that you've done with PhD, teaching, politics/government/history focus. You are also first-gen, which IS -- in it's own way -- URM, to be honest. That WILL be taken into account. I would somehow include a diversity essay as well, emphasizing why you're fit for law school...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”