What’s my Ceiling Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Npret

Gold

Re: What’s my Ceiling

Post by Npret » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Maybe I missed it, but did you say what kind of law you want to practice? What size firm or maybe what government work?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Eggs wrote:
nixy wrote:Be from Omaha, go to school in Omaha, do really well in school, network/intern/get to know as many lawyers as you can, profit. (Or be from Omaha, go away to a T14, come back, though frankly I’m not sure it’s really a better path if you know for certain you want to be in Omaha.)
So Creighton should be the choice?
If you’re certain you want to be in Omaha, Creighton for cheap is a decent option. If you want to keep your options open to be elsewhere, it’s less helpful (though it might get you to Iowa; I don’t know enough about that regional market).

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Next question, what is the recommended study method? I heard quite a bit about powerscore on here? Is that the best one to go with? What will help me figure out the patterns to logic games the best? Those were my biggest struggle last time as I didn't really study much. I just always ran out of time and had to guess on the last 3 questions.

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Npret wrote:Maybe I missed it, but did you say what kind of law you want to practice? What size firm or maybe what government work?
I'm a business major, and I currently am doing taxes in between graduating a week ago and law school in the fall, so I'll probably end up doing corporate. I enjoy prosecution though. I would be happy in a mid size corporate firm.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 am

Eggs wrote:Next question, what is the recommended study method? I heard quite a bit about powerscore on here? Is that the best one to go with? What will help me figure out the patterns to logic games the best? Those were my biggest struggle last time as I didn't really study much. I just always ran out of time and had to guess on the last 3 questions.
Logic Games Bible is pretty great and helped me improve to -0/-1 consistently on logic games practice tests after going -10 on my first LSAT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:51 am

I'm not trying to discount the advice that's been laid out on here but this old thread had some basis in my thought that drake isn't that bad. Obviously, it's 8 years old and there's no statistical evidence, but they seem pretty sold on it.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=109917

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:58 am

Eggs wrote:I'm not trying to discount the advice that's been laid out on here but this old thread had some basis in my thought that drake isn't that bad. Obviously, it's 8 years old and there's no statistical evidence, but they seem pretty sold on it.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=109917
I'd love to catch up with that student today and see whether they ended up in the top of the class (which is where they anticipated all the great outcomes for Drake students). The reason people are recommending Iowa is that you don't have to be in the top of the class to get the same results.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am

Eggs wrote:
Npret wrote:Maybe I missed it, but did you say what kind of law you want to practice? What size firm or maybe what government work?
I'm a business major, and I currently am doing taxes in between graduating a week ago and law school in the fall, so I'll probably end up doing corporate. I enjoy prosecution though. I would be happy in a mid size corporate firm.
How many mid size corporate firms are in Omaha? I’m asking because I don’t know.

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Npret wrote:
Eggs wrote:
How many mid size corporate firms are in Omaha? I’m asking because I don’t know.
There are 12 with 20+. I've seen mid sized defined as 35-75, and that number would be 6. Only one with over 100 in the Omaha office.

A quick run through websites of firms in Des Moines showed 10 firms matched the 20+ criteria. Kind of surprised the two cities were that close since Omaha is almost twice as big.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Eggs wrote:
Npret wrote:
Eggs wrote:
There are 12 with 20+. I've seen mid sized defined as 35-75, and that number would be 6. Only one with over 100 in the Omaha office.

A quick run through websites of firms in Des Moines showed 10 firms matched the 20+ criteria. Kind of surprised the two cities were that close since Omaha is almost twice as big.
I suggest you contact some alums at these firms and get their opinions. You might as well start networking and you can get current advice from recent grads. You know where you want to live and what you want to practice, you might as well start making connections.

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Npret wrote:
Eggs wrote:
Npret wrote:
Eggs wrote:

I suggest you contact some alums at these firms and get their opinions. You might as well start networking and you can get current advice from recent grads. You know where you want to live and what you want to practice, you might as well start making connections.
Do you have a better idea of how to do that other than snagging an email off the website and cold calling?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Eggs wrote:
Npret wrote:
Eggs wrote:
Npret wrote:
Eggs wrote:

Do you have a better idea of how to do that other than snagging an email off the website and cold calling?
Not really unless you have friends of friends who can help you. In my experience people are generally willing to have coffee with an 0L who wants to attend their school and learn about the job market.

You seem personable enough from your forum posts so I think you can manage it just fine.

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:19 am

Welp. Retook. Got the logic games bible and burned through that. Went about 2-3 hours a day for the month I had. Ended up doing a point worse. I agree retaking was the right idea but that’s a hell of a result.

Smartened up to throw a free app at Nebraska. My LSAT is at least above median and my GPA should get me full tuition considering like 43% get at least full tuition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Eggs wrote:Welp. Retook. Got the logic games bible and burned through that. Went about 2-3 hours a day for the month I had. Ended up doing a point worse. I agree retaking was the right idea but that’s a hell of a result.

Smartened up to throw a free app at Nebraska. My LSAT is at least above median and my GPA should get me full tuition considering like 43% get at least full tuition.
The LG Bible is good but not great. 7Sage's LG advice is superior IMO, and much of that can be gleaned from their free vids. Also, how did you use the LG Bible? Did you time yourself when you were working out the games at the end of chapters, doing the ReChallenge, etc.? Did you foolproof?

In any case, a month may not be enough time for most to be able to realistically expect improvement. You could've easily improved in LG at the cost of getting rusty somewhere else, which would explain the lower score. The same thing happened to me.

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:53 pm

239840 wrote:
Eggs wrote:Welp. Retook. Got the logic games bible and burned through that. Went about 2-3 hours a day for the month I had. Ended up doing a point worse. I agree retaking was the right idea but that’s a hell of a result.

The LG Bible is good but not great. 7Sage's LG advice is superior IMO, and much of that can be gleaned from their free vids. Also, how did you use the LG Bible? Did you time yourself when you were working out the games at the end of chapters, doing the ReChallenge, etc.? Did you foolproof?

In any case, a month may not be enough time for most to be able to realistically expect improvement. You could've easily improved in LG at the cost of getting rusty somewhere else, which would explain the lower score. The same thing happened to me.
I just worked through the chapters at my pace to learn how to do them. I was averaging like 20 minutes per game. When I did the Rechallenge section, I set the timer. In the last week leading up to the test, I was able to knock that down to like 8 minutes/game and get through the whole section on time. Averaged about-3 pretty consistently. I took one practice test (June 2007) and got a 161. Reading comprehension was by far my weakest section (weird since that was my strength on the ACT). It seems really tough to improve on that section though.

I really didn’t want to have to deal with that God foresaken test again, but the advice here was definitely correct to retake. The result couldn’t have been more of a kick in the dick

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 am

Eggs wrote:
239840 wrote:

I just worked through the chapters at my pace to learn how to do them. I was averaging like 20 minutes per game. When I did the Rechallenge section, I set the timer. In the last week leading up to the test, I was able to knock that down to like 8 minutes/game and get through the whole section on time. Averaged about-3 pretty consistently. I took one practice test (June 2007) and got a 161. Reading comprehension was by far my weakest section (weird since that was my strength on the ACT). It seems really tough to improve on that section though.

I really didn’t want to have to deal with that God foresaken test again, but the advice here was definitely correct to retake. The result couldn’t have been more of a kick in the dick
Are you open to retaking it again? You could try out different methods for RC. The LSAT Trainer's RC methods have worked well for many people. Then others like more notation-heavy approaches. You have to find out what works for you and really habitualize it. I personally felt that the January RC section was brutal, though it's also a section I'm working on improving in myself. And mastering LG can take a lot of work, but once you get it down your scores will improve a lot.

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 am

239840 wrote: Are you open to retaking it again? You could try out different methods for RC. The LSAT Trainer's RC methods have worked well for many people. Then others like more notation-heavy approaches. You have to find out what works for you and really habitualize it. I personally felt that the January RC section was brutal, though it's also a section I'm working on improving in myself. And mastering LG can take a lot of work, but once you get it down your scores will improve a lot.
Debating it. Honestly, my parents moved to Arizona so I was hoping for a 164 that would get me into ASU’s honors program for full tuition. But moving down there would be a tough sell for the fiancé anyways, so it doesn’t kill me to take that off the table.

I almost think creighton or Nebraska for full tuition are as good of a bet as any for me since Omaha is my goal. I don’t even know if going to a T14 would help me there since I’m not originally from there. Plus, I think that coming back to North or South Dakota could be a fine fall back option. I’ve looked at websites and they’ve got attorneys from a bunch of random third tiers

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 am

That’s a tough retake result. However, you have unlimited chances and schools only look at the highest score.

Have you thought about taking an actual class? I used the Blueprint online course, which was great for me because I could do it around the full time job I had at the time. There are a bunch of good courses.

When you get discouraged about your retake, just be relieved that you got an unexpectedly bad result on the LSAT rather than in your first semester grades at a suboptimal law school. Those are way more unpredictable, indelible, and much more limiting on your future. There are plenty of stories on here of people having to crank through several LSATs before they get the score that gets them to a school that aligns with their goals.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:22 pm

I’m calling troll.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Why?

Eggs

New

Post by Eggs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I’m calling troll.
Must be one of those that don’t actually believe people live in the Dakotas

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Eggs wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:I’m calling troll.
Must be one of those that don’t actually believe people live in the Dakotas
Of course, this is particularly ironic coming from someone who calls themselves an "Ohio bumpkin."

OP, I agree with Dcc617 that an unexpectedly bad LSAT score, while certainly a setback, is much, much better than unexpectedly bad 1L grades at a law school where you're banking on being in the top X% for your goals. You get to redo the LSAT over and over, with zero penalty aside from time - and law school isn't going anywhere. But once you go to a law school and get 1L grades, you're locked in - you can't redo 1L. If your LSAT score won't get you where you want to go at a reasonable cost, as disappointing as that is, you'd be much better served retaking again (as painful as that is) and reapplying next cycle, than rushing into law school this cycle and going to a suboptimal school or taking on unnecessary debt to attend.

Vianco

New

Post by Vianco » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Eggs wrote:
239840 wrote:

I went through the LG Bible, and it gives you a good baseline to start, but to improve, you're gonna need to do a lot more games than are in that book.

I think most people who have studied for the LSAT seriously and gotten in the mid 160s or higher will agree that it doesn't seem like you did nearly enough studying to make a significant increase in your score. I mean, you studied the LG Bible for one month and took one PT. Did you even do any studying for LR and RC?

You might have gotten a 4.0 but your cognitive reasoning skills come across as below average and it doesn't seem like you're very good at listening to the advice of other people. [redacted]

Moderator note: User warned. Profane ad hominem attacks are not permitted on TLS. -QContinuum
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redacted to remove profane ad hominem attack.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”