Help! 2.82/170 and retaking/PTing at 172-174 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sean0128

New

Help! 2.82/170 and retaking/PTing at 172-174

Post by sean0128 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:37 am

Prior AD enlisted Air Force for 7 years, got out last year February. Took the LSAT 2 years ago and got a 170 but at the time I had a 2.75 GPA and wasn't separation eligible, so I decided to hold off. When I separated I decided to take classes to bring GPA up as much as I possibly could and retake the LSAT. Taking the LSAT on January 26th. Been studying for the last year and PTing for the last month in prep for it. Scores range from 172-174 with 5 sections. GPA is now 2.82... not much of an improvement but grades were all A's and better than it was. Currently, I live in NJ just outside of NYC. 100% GI Bill. What are my options if score holds up and is there anything I should be lining up now? Not sure if I can ED without the score I plan on using. Ideally, I would love to go T14, but with my GPA it might not be possible. Any guidance would be really appreciated!

cavalier1138

Re: Help! 2.82/170 and retaking/PTing at 172-174

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:58 am

You can retake, but I think you've hit the point of diminishing returns. As far as I know, any school where there would be an appreciable difference in outcomes for a 170 vs. a 172 won't admit someone with a sub-3.0 GPA. Your best shot in the T13 is probably Northwestern, but you should apply broadly across the T20.

And an ED is likely to be a waste of time with your numbers. You don't need to worry about money with the GI bill, but it won't increase your chances of getting in (and locks you down to one school if you do happen to get in).

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 am

cavalier1138 wrote:You can retake, but I think you've hit the point of diminishing returns. As far as I know, any school where there would be an appreciable difference in outcomes for a 170 vs. a 172 won't admit someone with a sub-3.0 GPA. Your best shot in the T13 is probably Northwestern, but you should apply broadly across the T20.

And an ED is likely to be a waste of time with your numbers. You don't need to worry about money with the GI bill, but it won't increase your chances of getting in (and locks you down to one school if you do happen to get in).
What about a school like UVA, that has a known ED boost and likes vets? Lawschoolnumbers shows a couple of applicants over the last two years with numbers in this range?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 pm

albanach wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:You can retake, but I think you've hit the point of diminishing returns. As far as I know, any school where there would be an appreciable difference in outcomes for a 170 vs. a 172 won't admit someone with a sub-3.0 GPA. Your best shot in the T13 is probably Northwestern, but you should apply broadly across the T20.

What about a school like UVA, that has a known ED boost and likes vets? Lawschoolnumbers shows a couple of applicants over the last two years with numbers in this range?
I should have mentioned UVA as another T13 that would be a decent possibility. I'm not sure whether there's still an ED boost there, but that wouldn't be a bad school to be locked into.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
albanach wrote:

I should have mentioned UVA as another T13 that would be a decent possibility. I'm not sure whether there's still an ED boost there, but that wouldn't be a bad school to be locked into.
It would almost be worth moving to VA just for the in-state boost. No shortage of security-clearance required jobs in NoVa

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”