I sort of asked this before, but... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pompey

New

I sort of asked this before, but...

Post by Pompey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:08 pm

My son has a 178 LSAT, 3.73 from U Chicago, 4.0 his senior year (he was an NCAA athlete fr./soph years. Does he get any small bump on the gpa?

cavalier1138

Re: I sort of asked this before, but...

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:30 pm

He does not, although the NCAA athlete thing will be a nice soft.

He should also probably be taking charge of his own application process.

ernietakeslsac

New

Post by ernietakeslsac » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm

His GPA is what it is (which is fine). Seconding that he's clearly smart enough to figure out this stuff on his own.

Pompey

New

Post by Pompey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:36 pm

ernietakeslsac wrote:His GPA is what it is (which is fine). Seconding that he's clearly smart enough to figure out this stuff on his own.
He is doing it all on his own, I'm just an embarrassing and curious parent.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Pompey wrote:
ernietakeslsac wrote:His GPA is what it is (which is fine). Seconding that he's clearly smart enough to figure out this stuff on his own.
You sound like the worst type of helicopter parent as you’ve asked this same question twice. This is beyond embarrassing and curious.

Are you worried he won’t get into Yale or wherever you want him to go? Do you have so little faith in your obviously talented kid? Is this a humble brag so everyone can know how wonderful he is?

You need to back off and let him navigate his own process.

Don’t take this personally. I don’t know you. This is my honest advice- the best thing you can do for your son is let him make his own decisions and don’t pressure him to do what you think is most prestigious.

Also - he won’t get a GPA bump except possibly at Chicago itself - this isn’t verified. You will have to live with his 3.7.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pompey

New

Post by Pompey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Npret wrote:
Pompey wrote:
You sound like the worst type of helicopter parent as you’ve asked this same question twice. This is beyond embarrassing and curious.

Are you worried he won’t get into Yale or wherever you want him to go? Do you have so little faith in your obviously talented kid? Is this a humble brag so everyone can know how wonderful he is?

Don’t take this personally. I don’t know you. This is my honest advice- the best thing you can do for your son is let him make his own decisions and don’t pressure him to do what you think is most prestigious.

Also - he won’t get a GPA bump except possibly at Chicago itself - this isn’t verified. You will have to live with his 3.7.
Jeez - take it easy! I actually did not ask the same question twice (read my two posts). As you said, you don't know me. I am anything but a helicopter parent. He lives on his own in different State, supports himself and calls his own shots. We communicate a couple times a month or so. What I want for him is for him to do what he wants - even if it means not going to law school at all (Horrors!) I know squat about this process and was just wondering how it works.

kellyjohnson

New

Post by kellyjohnson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Npret wrote:
Pompey wrote:

Naw, he/she's just a curious mom/dad that wants some information on what to expect from his/her son's application process. GPAs from different schools/majors being directly compared is one of the things that makes the least sense about law school admissions, so there are a lot of questions about it.

To the original poster: The grades are used for two things. One is to predict how good your son will do in law school. The second is for reporting to USNWR for ranking purposes. As far as the former, your son will probably get a "boost" in that an admissions officer would expect his law school performance to track his later year grades more than his fr/sophomore grades. As far as the latter, numbers are numbers and there is no boost. With that said, numbers being numbers, a 178 is an incredible score and will open a lot of doors for him. Also, with numbers being numbers for rankings purposes, a 3.73 for Harvard is pretty much the same as a 3.85 (both below median, which is the only thing that matters for rankings).

In any case, with a 3.73 and a 178, no doors are closed. Yale is a long shot, of course, but it is for everybody.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:59 pm

kellyjohnson wrote:Naw, he/she's just a curious mom/dad that wants some information on what to expect from his/her son's application process. GPAs from different schools/majors being directly compared is one of the things that makes the least sense about law school admissions, so there are a lot of questions about it.

To the original poster: The grades are used for two things. One is to predict how good your son will do in law school. The second is for reporting to USNWR for ranking purposes. As far as the former, your son will probably get a "boost" in that an admissions officer would expect his law school performance to track his later year grades more than his fr/sophomore grades. As far as the latter, numbers are numbers and there is no boost. With that said, numbers being numbers, a 178 is an incredible score and will open a lot of doors for him. Also, with numbers being numbers for rankings purposes, a 3.73 for Harvard is pretty much the same as a 3.85 (both below median, which is the only thing that matters for rankings).

In any case, with a 3.73 and a 178, no doors are closed. Yale is a long shot, of course, but it is for everybody.
Seconding the above. OP's son should apply across the entire T13 and seriously consider his offers once they arrive - I have no doubt he'll get into Harvard and down (and possibly Yale/Stanford, though impossible to predict), the main question is what kind of merit scholarship offers he'll get at CCN and down and what his goals are out of law school.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Pompey wrote:
Npret wrote:
Pompey wrote:

Jeez - take it easy! I actually did not ask the same question twice (read my two posts). As you said, you don't know me. I am anything but a helicopter parent. He lives on his own in different State, supports himself and calls his own shots. We communicate a couple times a month or so. What I want for him is for him to do what he wants - even if it means not going to law school at all (Horrors!) I know squat about this process and was just wondering how it works.
Let me tell you this from experience Pompey... this happens very often on this site. People love to come at you no matter your angle.. Makes sense being a law site. Just stick to what the mods say.

Pompey

New

Post by Pompey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you all for the insight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”