Retake in January?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
smesiya1

New

Retake in January??

Post by smesiya1 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi,

I have taken the LSAT twice now (September and November 2018). My scores have been 165 and 166. I was really disappointed, especially for my November one, because I really thought I had improved enough to hit 170, which is my goal. I know I can reach 170, because I was consistently hitting 170+ scores during my practice tests when I was studying for my retake.

My question is whether I should retake the LSAT in January and work to hit that 170. I attend a small regional university, but have a 4.0 in Biomedical Sciences-Biology degree. I have okay enough extra-curriculars – internship at local civil rights non-profit, president and member of student leadership organizations, research assistant in cancer-research lab on campus, and a few other involvements.

Ideally, I would love to go to UChicago Law, but I know that if I apply after a January LSAT, I will be pretty late in the cycle and wouldn’t have much of a chance. My other top picks are Columbia, Duke, UT Austin, NYU, Virginia, and Cornell, but I don’t think Cornell accepts January LSATs.

I would have my winter break to dedicate solely to studying. I know what kind of study plan I would follow and what areas to focus on. Do you think it is worth it to retake and apply later in the cycle? I am worried that my chances and scholarship opportunities will be much lower in February as opposed to now in December. I know that score is more important than when you apply, but I am still feeling relatively conflicted.

Any thoughts and input would help and be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

dknightisyoung

New

Re: Retake in January??

Post by dknightisyoung » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:10 am

Retake. I have friends who applied on the last day you could and get into CCNP. Your odds for scholly are pretty low with a 166 so your only option is to retake. You seem pretty confident and weird things happen on test day. The Nov curve seemed pretty unforgiving. The diff between 166 and 170 is only a couple of questions. Figure out what you missed and practice from there. Try to get -0 on LG. That'll probably get you to 168, and then it's just a few LR or RC questions. Good luck

Return to “What are my chances?”