Apply now and retake LSAT, or retake first then apply? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
EnglandPrevails1

New

Apply now and retake LSAT, or retake first then apply?

Post by EnglandPrevails1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:57 am

Hi. Non-traditional applicant (age 32), LSAT 160, GPA 3.82, former doctor (MD)

I got a disappointing LSAT score. My Khan scores were consistently 169-170 and I was hoping for 165+ but I panicked on the logic games section and underperformed on the others somewhat. Anyway, I think with more practice I feel confident I can get to 165, perhaps more if lucky. My concern is waiting so late in the cycle to retake the test in late January.

So, more of a logistics question. Can I apply now and retake the LSAT, hoping for a better score? Will schools keep my application on file and get an update to my LSAT, or will they make a decision before they see a new score and decide accordingly? If I'm hoping to get a scholarship, will the higher score (if I get it) help?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: Apply now and retake LSAT, or retake first then apply?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 pm

If you apply and register for another LSAT, they usually put a hold on your application while waiting for your new score to come in. So if you have your apps ready to go, probably won't make much of a difference when you officially send them in. But absolutely retake.

asapheebs

New

Post by asapheebs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm

So is it beneficial to say that we're taking another LSAT?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm

asapheebs wrote:So is it beneficial to say that we're taking another LSAT?
I'm not sure whether "beneficial" is the right word. If you register for another LSAT, it will basically put a hold on your applications. In general, that's probably good if you expect a score increase, but that's assuming you actually get the higher score.

That's why the most beneficial track is to not apply until you have the score you need.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”