Chance me for Columbia Law School Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CLS2020

New

Chance me for Columbia Law School

Post by CLS2020 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 am

I'm applying in the 2019-2020 cycle, early decision. I graduated from NYU summa cum laude with a GPA of 3.91 double majoring in sociology and political science. My LSAT score is at a 172. I have good letters of recommendations from professors I am close with--one who supervised my senior honors thesis and one whom I've done research under and had for two classes. My main concern, however, is that my resumé is not particularly strong for someone applying to an Ivy League. I have done several internships, but they are not for large-named, prestigious companies. I launched a non-profit focusing on destigmatizing mental health and mental illness, as mental health is one of my biggest passions. I also have done several on-campus leadership roles.

ernietakeslsac

New

Re: Chance me for Columbia Law School

Post by ernietakeslsac » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 am

You’re fine imo. Softs matter exponentially less than numbers and your numbers are good; LSAT is at median and GPA well above 75th percentile.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

You're fine.

Also, just because some of the language in your post raised flags. You're not evaluating law school quality based on the "Ivy League" designation, right? The T13 includes a number a non-Ivy schools.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Also, don't apply early decision and apply to the whole t13

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:02 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:You're fine.

Also, just because some of the language in your post raised flags. You're not evaluating law school quality based on the "Ivy League" designation, right? The T13 includes a number a non-Ivy schools.
Seconding this. OP should do fine at CLS, but should also apply to the entire T13 (and possibly select schools in the T20). The best choice in the end may well be a "lower" T13 with a very large (or even full tuition) scholarship offer.

To be extra clear, in the legal industry, prestige flows to the T13 (and to a lesser extent the T20). There is no prestige boost specifically for "Ivy League law schools," and choosing to attend, say, Cornell over NYU solely because Cornell's an Ivy would be foolish in the extreme.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 pm

You're like the platonic ideal of a law school applicant. Play your cards right. Don't marry the first school that smiles at you. Make sure your materials are on point. Apply to the entire T-13. Someone is going to want to throw a bunch of scholarship money at you. You can then use that money to negotiate against other schools. You should have amazing options.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Wubbles wrote:Also, don't apply early decision and apply to the whole t13
Totally missed that point. Absolutely do not apply ED. Your numbers are way too good for that.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:43 am

CLS2020 wrote:I'm applying in the 2019-2020 cycle, early decision. I graduated from NYU summa cum laude with a GPA of 3.91 double majoring in sociology and political science. My LSAT score is at a 172. I have good letters of recommendations from professors I am close with--one who supervised my senior honors thesis and one whom I've done research under and had for two classes. My main concern, however, is that my resumé is not particularly strong for someone applying to an Ivy League. I have done several internships, but they are not for large-named, prestigious companies. I launched a non-profit focusing on destigmatizing mental health and mental illness, as mental health is one of my biggest passions. I also have done several on-campus leadership roles.
Applying to law school is numbers driven. You have great numbers and should do very well. I’m not sure why an NYU grad is concerned with Ivy League admissions, that sounds like something left over from undergrad admissions.

As others have said apply broadly in the T13.

Even if you know you want Columbia, acceptances from other schools will help you with scholarship negotiations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”