Northwestern ED Chances for STEM? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lj6711297

New

Northwestern ED Chances for STEM?

Post by lj6711297 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Okay, so I applied ED to Northwestern with 165/3.24 and were wondering my chances. Just looking at the ABA 509 data/ mylawschoolnumbers the changes of admit seem pretty bad, but I do have a few unique factors that go along with the numbers.

- Engineering major @ a top 10 ranked engineering college
- Set on IP
- Very sick 3 semesters and average 2.6 these semesters and about a 3.5 the other semesters (addressed this in an addendum)
- pretty confident on soft factors, thought I did pretty well in the interview and PS

Any info/advice would be great. Pretty hard to find how and if at all a STEM major effect law admissions. Thought I'd get lucky and waitlisted from ED and maybe get an admit no money offered. Only got 3 decision back so far, I don't know if they are relevant, but here they are. (the numbers listed are the scholarships offered)

-40k/yr DePaul
-35K/yr Chicago-Kent
-35K/yr Minnesota

cavalier1138

Re: Northwestern ED Chances for STEM?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Unless you're a URM, no shot at getting in ED, and very low chances at regular admission.

Your other decisions won't have any impact on Northwestern for admission. In the unlikely event that you get in, they won't negotiate scholarships based on offers from those schools.

Depending on your career goals (as in, if your goals are anything that can't be reasonably reached with a DePaul JD), you should look at retaking the LSAT. A few extra points will put you in splitter territory for the T14.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:27 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Unless you're a URM, no shot at getting in ED, and very low chances at regular admission.

Your other decisions won't have any impact on Northwestern for admission. In the unlikely event that you get in, they won't negotiate scholarships based on offers from those schools.

Depending on your career goals (as in, if your goals are anything that can't be reasonably reached with a DePaul JD), you should look at retaking the LSAT. A few extra points will put you in splitter territory for the T14.
Generally agreed, although I don't think Minnesota's a bad choice for someone with a strong engineering background and a desire to do IP. And OP's gotten a 66% scholly (based on Minnesota's out-of-state tuition rate) - not bad at all.

lj6711297

New

Post by lj6711297 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Unless you're a URM, no shot at getting in ED, and very low chances at regular admission.

Yeah, I agree with that. Appreciate the input - as for the LSAT - very disappointing since I was scoring low to mid 170's for my last 4 practice tests leading up to actual. Don't know what happened, didn't think I'd have the time to keep up my studying habits and retake the LSAT during school so I just applied with what I had...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm

lj6711297 wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that. Appreciate the input - as for the LSAT - very disappointing since I was scoring low to mid 170's for my last 4 practice tests leading up to actual. Don't know what happened, didn't think I'd have the time to keep up my studying habits and retake the LSAT during school so I just applied with what I had...
Law school admissions are number driven. You can overcome some of that as a splitter at the margins, but you need a better LSAT if you want T14 admissions.
Ive never seen data on how a STEM major impacts admissions, so I can’t help with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:49 pm

lj6711297 wrote:

This makes it sound like you really should be retaking then if you are already capable of scoring higher. Best of luck.

lj6711297

New

Post by lj6711297 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Wubbles wrote:
lj6711297 wrote:

This makes it sound like you really should be retaking then if you are already capable of scoring higher. Best of luck.

Yeah probably should,
Thanks everyone for the feed back!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”