My GPA Dropped -- Chances at a T5?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chalo318

New

My GPA Dropped -- Chances at a T5??

Post by chalo318 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:55 pm

After this semester my GPA is going from like a 3.9 to somewhere in the 3.8s. I got a 174 on the LSAT and I think I could raise it, since I'm planning on taking it again in June, so I have time and no school. I know hypotheticals are annoying, but if I were to raise it a couple points or so, would I have a decent shot at the T5? I know Y and S are kind of out of the question (right?), I don't really know. If anyone has some insight on anything, please let me know. I don't know to what extent or even if a 3.8 is detrimental. Any help would be appreciated :D

QContinuum

Re: My GPA Dropped -- Chances at a T5??

Post by QContinuum » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:53 pm

What's a T5? I guess you could try to roughly separate the T13 into the "upper" T13 and "lower" T13, though there isn't really a sharp cliff between school #6 and school #7 (or #7 and #8, for that matter). People talk about T13 and T20 because there is an actual, quantifiable, cliff-like drop in placement power between #13 (Cornell) and #14 (Georgetown), and between USC (#19) and Minnesota (#20) (I suppose we should really call it the T19 for accuracy's sake).

Broadly, with a 3.8x GPA and a 174+ LSAT, you're certainly in the running for the upper T13. Y & S will depend far more on your softs than whether your LSAT's a 174 or a 176 - Y & S uniquely care about softs (they also care about numbers, of course, but unlike the vast majority of other law schools, numbers don't suffice at Y & S). In any case, you should apply across the T13 and see how your scholarship offers shake out. In many cases, it may make a lot of sense for you to take, say, a substantial scholly at a lower T13 over sticker at Harvard. Come back for specific advice once you actually have offers.

Return to “What are my chances?”