no idea where my numbers will get me Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yankees111

New

no idea where my numbers will get me

Post by yankees111 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:05 pm

hey! so i've been creeping on the forums, and wanted to ask where I should I apply/what is likely.

LSAT: 177
GPA: 3.55 (though at a top 15 school according to Forbes)
Work experience: 4 months in at a moderately prestigious consulting job (not Bain, BCG, or McKinsey, but up there). Several political summer internships.
Softs: Varsity track captain during college, honors thesis, office assistant for department of admissions

How competitive am I for T6? The GPA is definitely a killer but I feel like everything else is solid (though I know softs are only 10-15 percent of the whole picture).

QContinuum

Re: no idea where my numbers will get me

Post by QContinuum » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:18 am

MyLSN is your friend.

Looks like you have a colorable shot at Harvard and Chicago and great shots at Columbia, NYU, Duke, and Berkeley. Penn, Mich, UVA, NW, and especially Cornell appear to be snobbier on the GPA front. (Alternately, maybe these schools place more value on a Why X essay - could certainly explain Cornell's otherwise puzzling acceptance rate.)

I don't generally recommend drawing an artificial line at the T6. There really isn't a sharp cutoff between NYU and Penn in terms of placement power or prestige. You should blanket the T13, IMO, from Harvard and down.

It honestly doesn't sound like you have strong enough softs to put you in contention for Y/S, especially given your GPA. If you have the money, sure, apply, but don't raise your expectations too high.

Overall, it looks like you'll be a T13 student next year. Congrats and best wishes!

yankees111

New

Post by yankees111 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:58 am

Thank you for the kind words. I had feeling my softs were only ok. Does it matter at all if I had a parent go to Harvard?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:24 am

yankees111 wrote:Thank you for the kind words. I had feeling my softs were only ok. Does it matter at all if I had a parent go to Harvard?
Your softs are very good - it's just that Y/S look for softs that are extraordinary, especially for those with a lower GPA or LSAT. Your softs are right in line with the majority of T13 students excluding Y/S.

I'm not aware of law schools giving legacies any boost, and I'm reasonably confident I would be aware of it if it was a routine thing.

yankees111

New

Post by yankees111 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. One last question - I’m contemplating quitting this job before I finish a year, and moving to China as a teaching assistant in an effort to gain fluency. I have some rudimentary knowledge of the language, and I think fluency would go a long way in my career. My question is, would quitting my job after 9 months or so hurt my law school prospects? I found the work to be completely unstimulating and not challenging in the slightest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”