Chances at NYU tax LLM? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Lawholdtheorder

New

Chances at NYU tax LLM?

Post by Lawholdtheorder » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 pm

I'm a recent grad who just passed the bar, attended a lower T2 school but finished in top 3% of class, above 4.0 tax GPA (straight A's and A+'s), Law Review, and have a job in tax at a V20. I'm going for Spring part-time admission. My only wrinkle is I don't have a letter of recommendation (timing issues). To make up for it, I've drafted a (hopefully) decent personal statement.

Is there a chance I can make it in this semester?

QContinuum

Re: Chances at NYU tax LLM?

Post by QContinuum » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:00 pm

I think you have a very strong shot. NYU and Georgetown's Tax LL.M. programs care first and foremost about your Tax grades, and you have straight As and A+s there - extremely strong. As far as general law school grades/pedigree, they generally take students in the top quarter at T1/T2 schools. Again, you're extremely strong - you're top 3% at a T2, and on Law Review.

Why weren't you able to get a LOR? You don't have a single professor at your T2 willing to write one for you? Not even one of your Tax profs? None of your supervising partners at your V20 are willing to support you? If you can get that LOR, you should be golden. Given your other strengths, I'd go so far as to say that you don't even need an extraordinarily strong LOR. You just need a decent LOR, and you should be able to get that from a Tax professor who gave you an A or A+.

Return to “What are my chances?”