170/3.89 Reapplication T14 chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SallysMarbles

New

170/3.89 Reapplication T14 chances

Post by SallysMarbles » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Hey all,

I early applied at U Chicago and applied right at the deadline for several other high/mid/low T14 schools and was waitlisted/rejected for all of them, even some top 20 schools for which the law school probability calculator told me my chances were basically "you're in."

I've been out of undergrad for 3 years, and have worked at a nonprofit during that time. I do have a criminal history, but no felonies. None of my incidents are more recent than 7 years ago. I believe I adequately addressed these in an addendum, and my conduct since shows a change. I worked really hard on my PS, but recognize they can always be improved.

My question is this: how do I know whether it was my late application, my criminal record, my numbers, or some combination that kept me out? Should I apply to T14 schools when I apply earlier this fall? It seems clear it wasn't a late application that kept me out of Chicago, but what about the rest?

The uncertainty is the most frustrating thing.

SallysMarbles

New

Re: 170/3.89 Reapplication T14 chances

Post by SallysMarbles » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:03 pm

I should add that after early applying to Chicago, I was moved to the waitlist. The WL is still not closed, given classes don't begin until 9/26.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Lol I thought this said 170/3.89 Republican

I clicked cause I assumed the conversation would get very lively very quick.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:09 pm

SallysMarbles wrote:Hey all,

I early applied at U Chicago and applied right at the deadline for several other high/mid/low T14 schools and was waitlisted/rejected for all of them, even some top 20 schools for which the law school probability calculator told me my chances were basically "you're in."

I've been out of undergrad for 3 years, and have worked at a nonprofit during that time. I do have a criminal history, but no felonies. None of my incidents are more recent than 7 years ago. I believe I adequately addressed these in an addendum, and my conduct since shows a change. I worked really hard on my PS, but recognize they can always be improved.

My question is this: how do I know whether it was my late application, my criminal record, my numbers, or some combination that kept me out? Should I apply to T14 schools when I apply earlier this fall? It seems clear it wasn't a late application that kept me out of Chicago, but what about the rest?

The uncertainty is the most frustrating thing.
I don't think 170/3.89 is a shoe-in for UChicago, but maybe I'm wrong as it's been awhile. Regarding T20s, I went to a T10 and was flat out rejected at USC, but was offered scholly money at UCLA. Some of the lower schools will reject applicants if they think you won't attend becasue you're too strong of an applicant, to protect their offer/acceptance rates.

Also, regarding the criminal history, we probably need more details on the charges to know if that's the cause of your rejections. Traffic tickets and speeding probably not, but if its things that signal your lack of honesty/morals or if schools think you wont pass C&F, that could be why.

SallysMarbles

New

Post by SallysMarbles » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:07 pm

I don't believe Chicago is a shoo-in, given my numbers it's more of a reach. It's the others that I was more confident of, like Vanderbilt, U Mass, whose WL/rejection perplexed me.

I'm sure for C&F that I'll need to go before the committee.

I have alcohol and drug convictions, a conviction for a fight with a roommate, and a shoplifting conviction. None more recent than 8 years ago. No felonies, and I know of people who've been accepted to T10 schools with worse.

I'm trying to determine how important it is to apply early, and how significantly my rejections were affected by the fact that I applied right at the deadline for all schools but Chicago.

mmac

New

Post by mmac » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Hmm, I don't really have a good sense of how law schools would weigh the four convictions, but I am guessing that may have been your problem. They may have just felt there were too many to look the other way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”