Chances: Columbia, Harvard. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheLaw1995

New

Chances: Columbia, Harvard.

Post by TheLaw1995 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey guys. Nigerian male, grew up in West Africa. 3.76 GPA (with mitigating circumstances for one semester), applying with GRE only: 169/170 (V), 157/170 (Q), 5.5/6 (AW). Attending my masters at the LSE next year, so planning on going after my Masters. Chances at Columbia and Harvard?

MRDREAMER

New

Re: Chances: Columbia, Harvard.

Post by MRDREAMER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 pm

Tell me how you get on. I am also Nigerian Male. I am LSE undergrad with a high 2:1 or formally around 3.7 via Fulbright Commission conversion. Is your undergrad from the US? If not, I hear LSAC simply classifies overseas undergrads as 'Superior' and 'Above Average' instead of a direct GPA conversion. This might give more leeway on undergrad GPA since overseas undergrad stats don't get reported in US News. I am currently training as UK solicitor in overseas office of US firm but hope to move to US for law or business school.

I think Harvard might be a decent shot for you but LSAT needs to be near 175 to have a strong shot. I think right now you are about 20-25 percent chance. My reading of admission stats said that could go up to 40-50 percent if you get 175 or above in LSAT, even with 3.7 GPA. Consider studying more and taking LSAT again if you have time.

If you are a US citizen, it's better to apply as African American instead of Nigerian. Your stats will be interpreted better and you can get solid scholarship cash. But in personal statements you can discuss Nigerian heritage to show you are internationally well-rounded.

TheLaw1995

New

Re: Chances: Columbia, Harvard.

Post by TheLaw1995 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 am

MRDREAMER wrote:Tell me how you get on. I am also Nigerian Male. I am LSE undergrad with a high 2:1 or formally around 3.7 via Fulbright Commission conversion. Is your undergrad from the US? If not, I hear LSAC simply classifies overseas undergrads as 'Superior' and 'Above Average' instead of a direct GPA conversion. This might give more leeway on undergrad GPA since overseas undergrad stats don't get reported in US News. I am currently training as UK solicitor in overseas office of US firm but hope to move to US for law or business school.

I think Harvard might be a decent shot for you but LSAT needs to be near 175 to have a strong shot. I think right now you are about 20-25 percent chance. My reading of admission stats said that could go up to 40-50 percent if you get 175 or above in LSAT, even with 3.7 GPA. Consider studying more and taking LSAT again if you have time.

If you are a US citizen, it's better to apply as African American instead of Nigerian. Your stats will be interpreted better and you can get solid scholarship cash. But in personal statements you can discuss Nigerian heritage to show you are internationally well-rounded.
Hey! My undergrad is from the US; a top-20 school. So they'll be using my actual numerical GPA. And I won't be taking the LSAT; I've talked to Harvard admissions reps, and they said they have no preference between the GRE and the LSAT. We'll see how that turns out, hopefully.
And in regards to the demographics, I applied as an American citizen, and then specified I was black. If you're a black American citizen, the census categorizes you as Black/African American.

You should consider taking the GRE since you're on the fence about law school and business school. That opens your options. By the time you apply, we'll have more data about acceptance rates, and maybe even YS may start accepting your GRE. But your profile looks promising; Harvard loves candidates with work experience, and you have a very international profile (African, but went to school in London). But why not take an LLM? Since you already have a law degree (GDL+LPC). It'll be less expensive and a LLM still qualifies you to take the New York Bar and practice as a US Associate.

Also, do you mind if I PM you? I'm also applying for vacation schemes this year, and since you're undertaking a TC, I'd appreciate some advice.

Return to “What are my chances?”