2.7 GPA, shooting for 168-170 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
throws73

New

2.7 GPA, shooting for 168-170 LSAT

Post by throws73 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Any realistic shot of a lower T-14, best case UVA? If not, just outside such as UT Austin, Vandy, UCLA, or ND?

Lousy undergrad GPA (West Point) but planning on a solid LSAT (testing 159 so far and only studied for about three weeks). Hoping that despite being a standard issue white guy, the 6 years as an Army Officer means something-- and to a much lesser extent maybe even the source of my undergrad.

Understand picking a regional school is probably the best course of action, but wanted to send out some feelers. Regionally I've considered Ohio State, U-Washington, and CU Boulder, as well as a few others in the high 20's/30's range.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Re: 2.7 GPA, shooting for 168-170 LSAT

Post by AdieuCali » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 am

Hey dude, vet splitter here at UVA. I'm friends with a few service academy guys with GPAs around yours who got into Penn and UVA. They had 170-173 LSATs. I think admissions offices are slightly more forgiving of service academy GPAs since GPA deflation is so prevalent. http://mylsn.info/8k48eu/

When are you planning on applying? Getting your score from PTs in the 150s to over 170 will take several months, longer if you're still working full time. While on AD, it took me about 8 months to go from 150s to first LSAT 160 to 169 on the retake. Even if you got it up there by the December LSAT, you'd lose some of the early application advantage you might need as a splitter. Are you still on AD and can you wait to apply for another year to apply?

Even if you get your score up to a 170, you won't get much in the way of financial in the lower T14. Your GI Bill will only be 60-70%, meaning you won't be eligible for yellow ribbon programs anywhere. You should also look into the VA's vocactional rehab, apparently some people have used it as a quasi-GI Bill.

If you haven't done so already, request a JD ambassador from Service2School. https://service2school.org/ They'll pair you with someone with roughly your stats and goals to help you through the whole admissions process.

Finally and most importantly, what are your goals and where do you want to practice? That's the most important consideration at lower-T14 and below.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 am

These days, high LSAT scores are so rare that you should be able to get into whatever schools at which you're median.

throws73

New

Post by throws73 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks fellas.. So I am still a month or so out from ETS. Looking to apply this cycle for the fall '19 class start. I'm not really doing much right now besides studying and researching different schools. I am paired up with a Duke grad/JAG reservist through the American Corporate Partnership program and he's giving me some great advice as well. I saw the Service2School requires an actual LSAT score first before pairing, do they make exceptions?

I'm 28, really want to get back to school, and feel that I'll go crazy lingering for another year. Per my mentor, what I do in the meantime is not that significant, given I'm a Captain and have the experience that comes with it. He recommended a job someplace I like, that affords me ample study time, and a good work/life balance since it will be the last chance for some time to have that.

Goal is to ensure I keep my options open. Working in BigLaw would be nice initially since I will have some debt not covered by VA/GI Bill. Additionally, I think criminal, international, or public sector sound interesting, maybe something related to negotiations. I'm admittedly still learning about the field. Preferred locations of practice would be a major city on East/West coast, Colorado, or Ohio-- near my folks in Cleveland specifically.

Bottom line, I know everything comes down to the LSAT if I have a shot of getting in someplace like Penn or UVA, or just outside of T-14. How critical to the applications process is when you apply? Could I take it in November and then worst case again in January? Presently scheduled for the September one but not sure with ETS and everything if I will be able to.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:26 am

PM me dude. I got you. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

throws73

New

Post by throws73 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:38 pm

@ponderingmeerkat Hey man, went to send you a PM but the system says I need to have more participation in order to activate that feature. Maybe send me one and I can reply? Added as a "friend" or whatever to see if that helps.. thanks.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:22 am

throws73 wrote:@ponderingmeerkat Hey man, went to send you a PM but the system says I need to have more participation in order to activate that feature. Maybe send me one and I can reply? Added as a "friend" or whatever to see if that helps.. thanks.
You have mail...

Novy Svet

New

Post by Novy Svet » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:58 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
throws73 wrote:@ponderingmeerkat Hey man, went to send you a PM but the system says I need to have more participation in order to activate that feature. Maybe send me one and I can reply? Added as a "friend" or whatever to see if that helps.. thanks.
You have mail...
ponderingmeerkat - I'm in a similar boat. Also a service academy grad. Can I send you a pm/email?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Novy Svet wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
You have mail...
ponderingmeerkat - I'm in a similar boat. Also a service academy grad. Can I send you a pm/email?
PM sent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”