3.3 GPA, 168 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
t14orbust22

New

3.3 GPA, 168 LSAT

Post by t14orbust22 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 am

Would I have a chance at getting into a T14 school with a 3.3 GPA and 168 LSAT? I majored in Political Science and Psychology in undergrad, but I graduated in 2012 and have been working in the finance industry in a lower-level job for the pat three years (though I have been getting promoted). I have heard that 170 is the "magic number" for someone with a lower GPA like me to hit, but would a 168 be out of the realm of possibility if I applied quickly and did Early Decision at a school like Northwestern who likes nontraditional students or Georgetown? Or should I keep retesting until I can hit 170+? (I have already taken the LSAT 4 times and 168 is my best score by a longshot, I am now worried that I may do worse and really ruin my chances?)

GFox345

Bronze

Re: 3.3 GPA, 168 LSAT

Post by GFox345 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:38 am

t14orbust22 wrote:Would I have a chance at getting into a T14 school with a 3.3 GPA and 168 LSAT? I majored in Political Science and Psychology in undergrad, but I graduated in 2012 and have been working in the finance industry in a lower-level job for the pat three years (though I have been getting promoted). I have heard that 170 is the "magic number" for someone with a lower GPA like me to hit, but would a 168 be out of the realm of possibility if I applied quickly and did Early Decision at a school like Northwestern who likes nontraditional students or Georgetown? Or should I keep retesting until I can hit 170+? (I have already taken the LSAT 4 times and 168 is my best score by a longshot, I am now worried that I may do worse and really ruin my chances?)
Early decision at Northwestern guarantees a large scholarship. It is not an option for borderline candidates. Do not ED at Georgetown. You will be bound to go there, and they have no reason to give you money because you have no other options. You've given the LSAT a good effort. 168 is a great score. I don't think many of the people on this board are correct that everyone can hit a 170.

With a 3.3/168, you should get at least one acceptance in the lower T13, but you will probably not get much money, if you get any at all. My recommendation to you would be to apply to the lower T13, the rest of the T20, and strong regional schools where you want to practice on the first day you can. Then wait out the cycle to gauge your options. Please think very carefully before agreeing to go to ANY school at sticker price. It's usually not worth it. And it DEFINITELY isn't worth it at Georgetown.

Good luck.

hoos89

Gold

Re: 3.3 GPA, 168 LSAT

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am

Pretty good shot at UT, UCLA and Vandy. In with a decent scholarship at WUSTL and also probably in with scholarship everywhere from 20 down. You're far from a shoe-in to the T13. Your best shot with your current LSAT is probably ED to UVA, but I'd still guess less than 50% odds (and I'm not sure it'd be worth locking yourself into paying probably sticker). You might also have a shot at Northwestern due to your work experience, but that's tough to quantify. I'd still venture to guess under 50%.

Also I wouldn't focus on Georgetown. Their employment numbers were worse than Vanderbilt's last year and also a substantial drop from Cornell's and the other T13 schools, plus you'd probably have to pay sticker or close to it and I just don't think that school is worth sticker. That said you probably won't get in with a 168 anyway.

Your best shot at a T13 school would be to retake the LSAT and add at least 2 points. I don't think most schools would really care if you end up scoring lower than 168...highest LSAT is what counts towards the class LSAT median in USNWR so that's what they care about. 170 would make you a very good candidate for UVA, and I think with your work experience you'd have a solid shot at Northwestern as well.

That said...it may be that you just aren't able to hit 170 so I wouldn't say that you necessarily should just wait until you get 170 because that may be never, and in any case...168 will still probably get you WUSTL or Vandy on a scholarship, which is a fine outcome (and honestly I'm not sure I'd recommend a T13 at a sticker over those options). I guess you need to ask yourself whether those extra two points are really there. Have you really maxed out studying? How much time and study did you have between each of your 4 takes?

Return to “What are my chances?”