3.8, ~167 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lillyc

New

3.8, ~167

Post by lillyc » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:04 pm

I'm an Econ major with a 3.82 and a 167 average on practice tests. If I get a 167 on the LSAT, what would be the chances of UVA or UPenn? Or how much higher do you think I will need to get into those schools? I'd be okay with ED! If not, what are schools better for my range?

goingnutslawschool

New

Re: 3.8, ~167

Post by goingnutslawschool » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:36 am

:o That’s a great GPA and a solid start to the LSAT. Are you applying Fall 2018? Because I think that I would not waste that GPA and really try for the 170’s. Are you a URM? That could change things as well. Do you know about Law School Numbers and how to use it? I would plug in your numbers once you get your LSAT score. Also why those schools? Where do you intend to practice? And do you have a public university law school that you could apply to as a safety? And I’m not sure that I would ED to a law school. It just doesn’t let you compare scholarships. There are schools where applying ED can open up more chances to scholarships but there are t that many that function that way (NU comes to mind). If your family is really wealthy and plopping down $250,000 is no big deal then ED can definitely be an admissions advantage. Let us know.

lillyc

New

Post by lillyc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Hey, thank you for your reply!! I'm applying for either Fall 2019 or Fall 2020. I'm taking the LSAT for the first time September 8, shooting for at least 170 but I have stalled a little on the practice tests so that has been making me nervous that I won't break 170. I'm not URM, but I am female and I think UVA (my favorite school so far) has less women than men, but I'm not sure how much that would actually help.

I would like to stay in the Philadelphia or DC area, and I am aiming to practice Immigration Law. I've been considering NU ED too, but not sure Chicago is a great fit for me personally. Would definitely need scholarships, but I am not a huge city person, so UVA is a strong favorite for me out of the T14!

With or without ED, I would definitely apply very early in the admissions cycle! Thank you for your advice :)

stativus

New

Post by stativus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:46 pm

I know someone from harvard and uchicago with a lower or similar gpa and the same lsat score, but I also know people who didn't make it to upenn with a higher gpa and a several point higher lsat score. so. it probably depends?

I also second above poster--I wouldn't ED if I were you unless you're so wealthy that it doesn't matter

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 am

Sounds like you have a good strategy then and I would wait and not make a decision about applying ED until you have your LSAT score in. I have read to apply to law schools in the area that you would like to practice in as this gives you the most networking opportunities to form contacts that leads to jobs. I think this becomes less important in the top law schools which have more of a national presence. I’m not sure how the top schools impact a career in immigration law though. This might not be set in stone yet for you as I’ve read that as you get to know more about the different areas of law you may discover another area of interest. Good luck with everything!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lillyc

New

Post by lillyc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 am

Thank you both for the advice! Will update when I take the LSAT in September! :)

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:00 pm

How did it go??

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46 pm

lillyc wrote:Hey, thank you for your reply!! I'm applying for either Fall 2019 or Fall 2020. I'm taking the LSAT for the first time September 8, shooting for at least 170 but I have stalled a little on the practice tests so that has been making me nervous that I won't break 170. I'm not URM, but I am female and I think UVA (my favorite school so far) has less women than men, but I'm not sure how much that would actually help.

I would like to stay in the Philadelphia or DC area, and I am aiming to practice Immigration Law. I've been considering NU ED too, but not sure Chicago is a great fit for me personally. Would definitely need scholarships, but I am not a huge city person, so UVA is a strong favorite for me out of the T14!

With or without ED, I would definitely apply very early in the admissions cycle! Thank you for your advice :)
Would you be an in-state applicant for UVA? You're just below both medians. Assuming you can't boost your GPA, I'd look to boost that LSAT a little.

If you're stalling, spend time on the LSAT forums here discussing what's going on, and where you're missing answers. Do you have your logic games down to -0 yet? If not, that might be a place where you can game some needed points.

Here's what MyLSN predicts for your cycle with a 167:

Boost that to 170 and it looks more like this:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”