Average/2.7GPA/LSAT 169 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Deniseqv

New

Average/2.7GPA/LSAT 169

Post by Deniseqv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am

Also I've taken the LSAT total 6 times. I canceled once, 3 times I got 159, then I got 163.

I honestly have no idea what are my chances for T20 schools. I applied this year and was all set up for Wisconsin Madison with a good scholarship. Then I took a test last month and got 169, and now I don't know if I should wait another year and take my chances.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Average/2.7GPA/LSAT 169

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am

I'm not completely up to date on how the top schools handle splitters, but I think you're gonna have a hard time finding good money in the top tier. If you're happy with the cost and outcomes at Wisky, stick with it. If you were taking it as a compromise because you were sick of taking the LSAT, withdraw and see what your new numbers will get you.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 am

totesTheGoat wrote:I'm not completely up to date on how the top schools handle splitters, but I think you're gonna have a hard time finding good money in the top tier. If you're happy with the cost and outcomes at Wisky, stick with it. If you were taking it as a compromise because you were sick of taking the LSAT, withdraw and see what your new numbers will get you.
Disagree. OP is now a virtual auto admit to WUSTL and will more likely than not get a decent scholarship (per mylsn: probably around $80k). WUSTL had close to 50% big law + federal clerkship for c/o 2017 while Wisconsin had more like 16%. Also good chance at: Notre Dame, Iowa, Minnesota and GW, among others (and less good chance at Emory). Also has a non-zero chance at one of Penn, UVA or Northwestern (although more likely at sticker).
Last edited by hoos89 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 am

hoos89 wrote: OP is now a virtual auto admit to WUSTL and will more likely than not get a decent scholarship
:shock: :shock: I should've waited a few years to go to law school. Probably wouldn't have a mortgage-sized student loan sleeping in my guest bedroom.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am

totesTheGoat wrote:
hoos89 wrote: OP is now a virtual auto admit to WUSTL and will more likely than not get a decent scholarship
:shock: :shock: I should've waited a few years to go to law school. Probably wouldn't have a mortgage-sized student loan sleeping in my guest bedroom.
WUSTL has been autoadmitting high 160s+ for a while now. If you're at or above their target median (usually 167 or 168) you're very likely to get in with a scholarship. This has been true since at least the 2012 cycle, probably longer. Problem was that their employment outcomes used to be substantially worse (more like 30% BL+AIII as opposed to 50%).

OP: here's the MYLSN chart. I note that it's POSSIBLE that the inclusion of 170 is skewing this but there's just not enough data without it (you're still almost definitely in to WUSTL with a 169...only 2 of 27 people with similar numbers in the last 5 cycles weren't admitted).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am

Yeah, we're going to need career goals, the Wisconsin scholarship and cost of attendance, and where you want to live and work. The calculus has definitely changed with the new score and WUSTL is a serious contender, along with the chances for a t14 school.

Deniseqv

New

Post by Deniseqv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:02 pm

hoos89 wrote:
totesTheGoat wrote:
WUSTL has been autoadmitting high 160s+ for a while now. If you're at or above their target median (usually 167 or 168) you're very likely to get in with a scholarship. This has been true since at least the 2012 cycle, probably longer. Problem was that their employment outcomes used to be substantially worse (more like 30% BL+AIII as opposed to 50%).

OP: here's the MYLSN chart. I note that it's POSSIBLE that the inclusion of 170 is skewing this but there's just not enough data without it (you're still almost definitely in to WUSTL with a 169...only 2 of 27 people with similar numbers in the last 5 cycles weren't admitted

Thank you so much for your advice! I see that WUSTL is still open for application (deadline on August 17). But maybe their classes are already full.

Also I'm 24 now and I'm a Chinese working in Shanghai. I was also concerned that with me getting older I might become less adaptable to the new environment...and the money is indeed an issue too. but still I think I'll try one more year. Can't be worse than this year anyway... You've been very helpful!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Deniseqv wrote:
Thank you so much for your advice! I see that WUSTL is still open for application (deadline on August 17). But maybe their classes are already full.

Also I'm 24 now and I'm a Chinese working in Shanghai. I was also concerned that with me getting older I might become less adaptable to the new environment...and the money is indeed an issue too. but still I think I'll try one more year. Can't be worse than this year anyway... You've been very helpful!
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to TRY applying for WUSTL this year, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for that (and even if you do get in I'd be concerned about it negatively affecting your scholarship amount). Apply broadly next cycle...do your research on employment options and look at mylsn to get an idea of your reach/target/safety schools and what sort of aid you can expect.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Are you authorized to work in the US?

potatocowpower

New

Post by potatocowpower » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 am

I know someone who got NU ED (with $150k) with a lower GPA but still Average and a 172

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”