3.79 GPA, 165 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Shelby

New

3.79 GPA, 165 LSAT

Post by Shelby » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 am

Hi all,

I am a rising senior with a 3.79 GPA and am taking the LSAT in September, currently scoring about 165, hoping to improve to at least 170 in the next two months. Currently my plan is to also apply this fall and not take time off in between.

My biggest concern is that my only real other activity has been division 1 basketball, which has taken up all of my time so that I only have a few other clubs (including a pre-law one) but no other relevant experience or jobs. I'm hoping this makes me a unique enough applicant that it won't matter, but it still might be a problem.

so, 2 questions:
Where can I realistically get in? and,
What level of schools would give me the best shot at at least a half-scholarship? I don't know if these two questions have the same answer, but any help at all is appreciated!

hoos89

Gold

Re: 3.79 GPA, 165 LSAT

Post by hoos89 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 am

Shelby wrote:Hi all,

I am a rising senior with a 3.79 GPA and am taking the LSAT in September, currently scoring about 165, hoping to improve to at least 170 in the next two months. Currently my plan is to also apply this fall and not take time off in between.

My biggest concern is that my only real other activity has been division 1 basketball, which has taken up all of my time so that I only have a few other clubs (including a pre-law one) but no other relevant experience or jobs. I'm hoping this makes me a unique enough applicant that it won't matter, but it still might be a problem.

so, 2 questions:
Where can I realistically get in? and,
What level of schools would give me the best shot at at least a half-scholarship? I don't know if these two questions have the same answer, but any help at all is appreciated!
Your options will vary wildly depending on your score. I will tell you this though: mid-160s (164-166) means you might get into 1 or 2 T13 schools or you might not...and probably at sticker. Partial scholarships would probably be available from schools like Emory, Notre Dame and Fordham. If instead you manage the 168-170 range, you will stand a pretty decent change at scholarship money from schools like Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell. Those few points on the LSAT will make a huge difference for you, to the point where if you don't manage to score in the 168-170 range or better it would be worth considering taking the year off to study and retake next June.

Also don't worry about extracurriculars: they don't matter much at all (and playing a D1 sport probably puts you above average anyway).

Shelby

New

Post by Shelby » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks! Notre Dame is on my list of schools to apply to, so its reassuring to hear I have a shot at scholarship money there.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Shelby wrote:Thanks! Notre Dame is on my list of schools to apply to, so its reassuring to hear I have a shot at scholarship money there.
Curious what your criteria are for schools to apply to. Employment options and cost of attendance should be the top 2. Notre Dame is a fine enough school, but please bear in mind that the difference between 165 and 168 to you could be 1) $100,000+ in scholarship money or 2) admission to a school that places 60%+ of students in large firms and AIII clerkships (as opposed to ~44% at Notre Dame), which could result in additional lifetime earnings well into the 7-figure range. It's still worth it for you to retake a 165, if that's what you end up with.

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 am

Got a full ride at wake forest for similar numbers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shelby

New

Post by Shelby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Shelby wrote:Thanks! Notre Dame is on my list of schools to apply to, so its reassuring to hear I have a shot at scholarship money there.
Curious what your criteria are for schools to apply to. Employment options and cost of attendance should be the top 2. Notre Dame is a fine enough school, but please bear in mind that the difference between 165 and 168 to you could be 1) $100,000+ in scholarship money or 2) admission to a school that places 60%+ of students in large firms and AIII clerkships (as opposed to ~44% at Notre Dame), which could result in additional lifetime earnings well into the 7-figure range. It's still worth it for you to retake a 165, if that's what you end up with.

those are definitely my most important considerations, plus location as the third - ND is on my list because I have a lot of alumni connections to that school, and then it comes down to scholarship money and the fact that the closest city is Chicago. As of now large firm is an outcome I'm looking for, so you're right that does push ND down on the list unless I can get enough money to where it would be impossible to say no.

Shelby

New

Post by Shelby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 pm

coramnonjudice wrote:Got a full ride at wake forest for similar numbers
Thanks!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Shelby wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

those are definitely my most important considerations, plus location as the third - ND is on my list because I have a lot of alumni connections to that school, and then it comes down to scholarship money and the fact that the closest city is Chicago. As of now large firm is an outcome I'm looking for, so you're right that does push ND down on the list unless I can get enough money to where it would be impossible to say no.
In terms of places you can get into with a 165 is should probably be decently high. Point is more that you should try aiming for 168+ because that's where you'll start seeing a big boost in scholarship money and admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”