3.52 GPA 179 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mikeross

New

3.52 GPA 179 LSAT

Post by mikeross » Fri May 11, 2018 12:42 am

I went to University of Cambridge for my first year, but failed due to my failure to properly estimate what it would be like to live across the pond with bone marrow failure. Due to the condition, I was chronically anemic, had reoccurring blood clots/pulmonary embolisms, and hemolytic crises. This meant I would require weekly hospitalizations, blood transfusions, and prophylactic medications, which furthered my mental and physical anguish. I decided to come home and have an allogenic bone marrow transplant. One year later, I began at a top 2 public university. My stats are as followed:

GPA: 3.52, with the last 180 credits being a 4.0. I haven't earned anything less than perfect since resuming my education.
LSAT: 179
URM Status: White, Male
Majors: Electrical Engineering and Mathematics, with the highest honors
Softs: 1000+ volunteering hours at cancer center, Math Club, Pre-law Society, Summer internship at the Boston Consulting Group, Honorable Mention (top 100) recognition three times on the Putnam Examination

I am going to apply to all 14 of the T14. I am just wondering how great of a chance I have at HYS or CCN. My original grades are my fault. These grades were due to my gross underestimation on the burden of Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, and it resulting treatment in a foreign country. I just hope my naivety will not affect my chances at a top school. Furthermore, if I get into a T14, am I allowed to transfer to HYS assuming I maintain the perfect grades in law school? If I do transfer, what is the process like?

kellyjohnson

New

Re: 3.52 GPA 179 LSAT

Post by kellyjohnson » Fri May 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Does your University of Cambridge transcript show up on your public undergrad transcript? e.g., did you transfer credits? Do you intend to work as a practicing attorney after law school, or not?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri May 11, 2018 5:39 pm

kellyjohnson wrote:Does your University of Cambridge transcript show up on your public undergrad transcript? e.g., did you transfer credits? Do you intend to work as a practicing attorney after law school, or not?
Why would his Cambridge transcript show anything? He didn't graduate from Cambridge. He failed out. He didn't get a degree from Cambridge.

mikeross

New

Post by mikeross » Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 pm

kellyjohnson wrote:Does your University of Cambridge transcript show up on your public undergrad transcript? e.g., did you transfer credits? Do you intend to work as a practicing attorney after law school, or not?
They ask for the transcripts of all prior academic institutions attended.

mikeross

New

Post by mikeross » Sat May 12, 2018 12:08 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
Why would his Cambridge transcript show anything? He didn't graduate from Cambridge. He failed out. He didn't get a degree from Cambridge.
My Cambridge transcript shows the grades I received while at school. My transcript from the school I currently attend, does not show the grades/classes, as none of my credits transferred. However, it does show that I attended Cambridge before transferring. All of this is moot, as LSAC requires that I list all courses that I have taken at the post secondary level.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Sat May 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Have you had LSAC calculate your transcript yet? I don’t think they’ll calculate your international credits into your overall GPA if they’re not on your U.S. transcript - you may end up with a U.S. GPA and a separate int’l transcript analysis, which would be very good for you. If your 3.52 is your LSAC GPA then all you can do is write an addendum, apply early, and hope for the best.

marryJLP92

New

Post by marryJLP92 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Does your Cambridge transcript show 'first class-honours' or 2.1?
If the former I suspect LSAC will credit you with an intl. evaluation summary of 'superior' which will consequently work in your favour.
In conjunction with a US gpa, that you list as 3.5+, followed by a stellar 179 on the LSAT.
Your strategy ought to be premised on an early application, legitimate and compelling addendum regarding your medical condition (mention it in PS), followed by agreeable splitter stats. I foresee a coins flip chance at YS, waitlisted (then accepted?) at Harvard, $$$ at NYU, waitlisted/accepted Chicago and accepted Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”