How to improve my chances for T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Blackbody

New

How to improve my chances for T14?

Post by Blackbody » Tue May 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Hey guys, first time posting here so I would appreciate any advice from you.

I will be graduating with a Ph.D. in physics next year from a top 20 university. However, I am not really interested in doing research any more so I have been preparing for a switch of career to investment banks or law.

As far as test score goes, I got 179 on the LSAT and my GRE was 162V-170Q-4.5W. But, my undergraduate GPA is horrible(3.26). What happened was that I never went to classes in my first two years so I got like 2.5 but I did manage to get 3.97 for the last two years. My graduate GPA is 4.0 but I heard that law schools don’t give much weight to it, if any.

I know that UGPAs are extremely important for law schools applications so I probably won’t get into T5. But I would really appreciate any advice on how to tailor my application for specific schools and how to appeal to the admission committees so that they would take a chance on me.

Thanks again!

albanach

Gold

Re: How to improve my chances for T14?

Post by albanach » Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Blackbody wrote:Hey guys, first time posting here so I would appreciate any advice from you.

I will be graduating with a Ph.D. in physics next year from a top 20 university. However, I am not really interested in doing research any more so I have been preparing for a switch of career to investment banks or law.

As far as test score goes, I got 179 on the LSAT and my GRE was 162V-170Q-4.5W. But, my undergraduate GPA is horrible(3.26). What happened was that I never went to classes in my first two years so I got like 2.5 but I did manage to get 3.97 for the last two years. My graduate GPA is 4.0 but I heard that law schools don’t give much weight to it, if any.

I know that UGPAs are extremely important for law schools applications so I probably won’t get into T5. But I would really appreciate any advice on how to tailor my application for specific schools and how to appeal to the admission committees so that they would take a chance on me.

Thanks again!
MyLSN is pretty pessimistic for you but I think it's probably overly so. Your Ph.D. is obviously in a tough subject and I think that will assuage some of the academic fears.

I think your best bet is to focus on the schools likely to accept you (likely lower ranked) and take any opportunity to meet with admissions officers. Make yourself a person to them, not a piece of paper. Obviously you'll want a GPA addenda, but it should be short and to the point - you messed up when you were young, sorted it out and have excelled academically ever since.

In your Why X essay you'll want to communicate why you sincerely want a legal career and why X school will help you get it. You do not want (and indeed want to kill any concern) that you're an eternal student.

Return to “What are my chances?”