Judge me Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
koncretejungle

New

Judge me

Post by koncretejungle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:02 am

Undergrad:
3.1 GPA bio major, psych minor
Good volunteer, work and internship experiences throughout undergraduate years each as ~10 month commitments.
Good letters of recommendation from 2 bio professors, 1 psych professor, and a ASL adjunct.
Currently pursuing a masters in molecular biology and will be finishing with a 3.8+ GPA with possible (hopefully) published research.
Interested in a JD/Ph.D, JD/MD, or just JD program.
166 on LSAT and 507 on MCAT.

Ivy league law school or nah?
Law school acceptances at all? Which law schools? (throw some names)
Give me brutal honesty
Thanks

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Re: Judge me

Post by ExperssioUnius » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:31 am

By Ivy League, do you mean T14? From a numbers standpoint, I think it is reasonable for you to aim for schools like U Penn & U Mich. If you want to do a JD/MD, I know UVA has had people do that.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 am

Judge You?

Well, is your heart as light as a feather?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:By Ivy League, do you mean T14? From a numbers standpoint, I think it is reasonable for you to aim for schools like U Penn & U Mich. If you want to do a JD/MD, I know UVA has had people do that.
I'm baffled by this answer. Unless you're a URM, I don't see a 3.1/166 getting into any of the T14. (Meaning no disrespect - I didn't get into the T14.) Myylsn.info starts to show acceptances in the T20 tier - UT, Vandy, WUSTL.

What do you want to do with the degree? JD/MD, JD/PhD, and just JD are very different beasts.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 am

a 3.1 and a 166 in no universe gets into a t13 unless OP is an AA male, and even then its unlikely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Absent the 3.8 Masters GPA, I'd agree that a 3.1 undergrad GPA and a 166 would not give the OP a reasonable shot at T14.
But, I know for a fact that people have gotten into top 10 schools with a 3.3 undergad GPA and a 3.6 Masters GPA and have done so in political science fields. Factor in that average major GPAs for science majors tend to be a little lower than average major GPAs for people in political science fields and I think OP has a chance at the schools I named. This is particularly true since OP is looking to do a unique dual degree program and may find a particular school interested in accommodating the dual degree.

For OPs sake, I'll add that undergrad grad trend may impact where in T14 is realistic.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:04 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:Absent the 3.8 Masters GPA, I'd agree that a 3.1 undergrad GPA and a 166 would not give the OP a reasonable shot at T14.
But, I know for a fact that people have gotten into top 10 schools with a 3.3 undergad GPA and a 3.6 Masters GPA and have done so in political science fields. Factor in that average major GPAs for science majors tend to be a little lower than average major GPAs for people in political science fields and I think OP has a chance at the schools I named. This is particularly true since OP is looking to do a unique dual degree program and may find a particular school interested in accommodating the dual degree.

For OPs sake, I'll add that undergrad grad trend may impact where in T14 is realistic.
The MA GPA doesn't matter. The people you reference also have a higher GPA than the OP and probably had higher LSAT scores.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:17 pm

You're wrong about the MA GPA not mattering.
And, I know one of the individuals who got accepted with a 3.3. undergrad, 3.6 MA GPA had a 165 LSAT. Not a URM either. The numbers necessary to get admission have just changed in the last few years. While OP is not a sure bet for admission to the above named schools, OP has a reasonable shot at admission and should apply

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:21 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:You're wrong about the MA GPA not mattering.
And, I know one of the individuals who got accepted with a 3.3. undergrad, 3.6 MA GPA had a 165 LSAT. Not a URM either. The numbers necessary to get admission have just changed in the last few years. While OP is not a sure bet for admission to the above named schools, OP has a reasonable shot at admission and should apply
As someone who went to a t13 with an MA along with a decent chunk of my friends, MA's literally do not matter in the slightest.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:07 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:You're wrong about the MA GPA not mattering.
I don't think there's any harm in applying, but I really don't think they have a reasonable shot. A 3.3 UGPA isn't the same as a 3.1 UGPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”