What are my chances? -unique degree Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kalaw90

New

What are my chances? -unique degree

Post by kalaw90 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:24 am

I have a doctorate degree in chemsistry but no bachelors. I went straight from high school into an excelerated path doctorate degree program. My freshman year grades are awful because of the rough transition. I managed to somewhat pull it up as much as I could, but because of the nature of the courses I only managed a 3.3. My lsat is 172 but I haven’t finished studying for it, hoping to bring it to around 174. I was pretty involved in my uni background of science and am working to get a paper published. Are my chances at Harvard law still existentent? Deciding whether to apply early decision to Columbia or risk applying regular decision there so I can try for Harvard as well

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: What are my chances? -unique degree

Post by L_William_W » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Go back to science. STEM fields are very popular. Coming from someone who's $120,000 in debt, law isn't worth it.

ispynn

New

Post by ispynn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:56 pm

L_William_W wrote:Go back to science. STEM fields are very popular. Coming from someone who's $120,000 in debt, law isn't worth it.
This seems like really bad advice coming from a guy that didn't do well in law school with a technical background?

OP, PM me for advice -- I also have a PhD and have learned quite a bit about job opportunities for people like us once I entered into law school. Several things I wish I knew before applying.

kalaw90

New

Post by kalaw90 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 pm

ispynn wrote:
L_William_W wrote:Go back to science. STEM fields are very popular. Coming from someone who's $120,000 in debt, law isn't worth it.
This seems like really bad advice coming from a guy that didn't do well in law school with a technical background?

OP, PM me for advice -- I also have a PhD and have learned quite a bit about job opportunities for people like us once I entered into law school. Several things I wish I knew before applying.

Im having trouble messaging you but I would love your input. Its been hard to people with similar backgrounds to offer advice.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Lawyers are a dime a dozen. However, there's a need for people in the STEM fields. With your background you could be a professor or work for a major corporation as a chemical engineer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ispynn

New

Post by ispynn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am

kalaw90 wrote:I have a doctorate degree in chemsistry but no bachelors. I went straight from high school into an excelerated path doctorate degree program. My freshman year grades are awful because of the rough transition. I managed to somewhat pull it up as much as I could, but because of the nature of the courses I only managed a 3.3. My lsat is 172 but I haven’t finished studying for it, hoping to bring it to around 174. I was pretty involved in my uni background of science and am working to get a paper published. Are my chances at Harvard law still existentent? Deciding whether to apply early decision to Columbia or risk applying regular decision there so I can try for Harvard as well
I tried to message you but I couldn't, so here is what I think you should do:

Go find a big law firm - they typically like to recruit PhD's in chemistry/biology/life sciences etc. as scientific advisors in hopes that you then become a patent agent. They will pay for your patent agent "class" which is roughly $2k and then they will also pay for your patent bar exam ~$1k. After working for roughly 1-2 years, they will most likely bank roll your law school (usually pay for half and hope that you get the scholarship for the rest) and you automatically have a job at big law with a 1L/2L SA (paying ~$3500/week) and a job right out of school paying the big bucks.

They will also probably make you work part time <20 hrs/week during law school. You can still do the law school thing first and then find a firm, but now your grades 100% matter and they will not bank roll your law school (you might be able to get your third year paid for).

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 am

Check the bar admission requirements for the state in which you plan to practice. Some states require a bachelors' degree from an accredited school. You absolutely don't want to complete law school only to find you can't actually practice law.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:59 pm

ispynn wrote:
kalaw90 wrote:I have a doctorate degree in chemsistry but no bachelors. I went straight from high school into an excelerated path doctorate degree program. My freshman year grades are awful because of the rough transition. I managed to somewhat pull it up as much as I could, but because of the nature of the courses I only managed a 3.3. My lsat is 172 but I haven’t finished studying for it, hoping to bring it to around 174. I was pretty involved in my uni background of science and am working to get a paper published. Are my chances at Harvard law still existentent? Deciding whether to apply early decision to Columbia or risk applying regular decision there so I can try for Harvard as well

Go find a big law firm - they typically like to recruit PhD's in chemistry/biology/life sciences etc. as scientific advisors in hopes that you then become a patent agent. They will pay for your patent agent "class" which is roughly $2k and then they will also pay for your patent bar exam ~$1k. After working for roughly 1-2 years, they will most likely bank roll your law school (usually pay for half and hope that you get the scholarship for the rest) and you automatically have a job at big law with a 1L/2L SA (paying ~$3500/week) and a job right out of school paying the big bucks.

They will also probably make you work part time <20 hrs/week during law school. You can still do the law school thing first and then find a firm, but now your grades 100% matter and they will not bank roll your law school (you might be able to get your third year paid for).
i was wondering if you can comment on if it's possible for engineers with MS degree and work ex to do this. Say if someone worked in electrical/comp eng for several years and have a masters but no patents, is it still possible for them to get patent agent job? or do they need to have passed patent bar before getting one? how could one go about finding one?

ispynn

New

Post by ispynn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

appind wrote:
ispynn wrote:

i was wondering if you can comment on if it's possible for engineers with MS degree and work ex to do this. Say if someone worked in electrical/comp eng for several years and have a masters but no patents, is it still possible for them to get patent agent job? or do they need to have passed patent bar before getting one? how could one go about finding one?
Very possible. Much easier for engineers to do this without PhD's. What type of engineering degree do you have for your BA/BS and MS? It'll matter but the work experience is also a plus. You can apply as a sci advisor, but I'd recommend just taking the patent bar and applying as a patent agent. That shows that it's the field you want to work in and you're committed. You can even mention in an interview that you plan on going to law school "sometime in the near future." They'll like to hear that.

I'd first check to see if you have any contacts at any firms that could possibly sneak your resume to the patent prosecution group. If nothing like that, check online posts for patent agent jobs at big IP firms. Typically, they are in high demand.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 pm

ispynn wrote:
Very possible. Much easier for engineers to do this without PhD's. What type of engineering degree do you have for your BA/BS and MS? It'll matter but the work experience is also a plus. You can apply as a sci advisor, but I'd recommend just taking the patent bar and applying as a patent agent. That shows that it's the field you want to work in and you're committed. You can even mention in an interview that you plan on going to law school "sometime in the near future." They'll like to hear that.

I'd first check to see if you have any contacts at any firms that could possibly sneak your resume to the patent prosecution group. If nothing like that, check online posts for patent agent jobs at big IP firms. Typically, they are in high demand.
EE/CS. I have no contacts. I see only a few sci advisor or even patent agent jobs at online posts at job search sites, so unlcear how they could be high demand? Is submitting application through general internet job search sites even worth due their extremely low response rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”