2.8 GPA, Mexican-American female. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Marialsatprep

New

2.8 GPA, Mexican-American female.

Post by Marialsatprep » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:28 pm

What LSAT score would I need to get into a t14 school?

No time limits.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 2.8 GPA, Mexican-American female.

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Impossible to know, but your GPA is bad. Usually with a GPA that bad, you are looking at needing a 170+ given you are an URM. If you weren't an URM, you would need a 175+ to have a shot at the t13.

But this is all before the recent reports of LSAT takers being up 20% or more and the biglaw market is down in hiring 25%. It means law schools are getting more competitive and expensive (less scholarships going around) while the legal market is appearing like its starting to scale down.

Given that plus your awful GPA, you need a 170 or higher to even have a shot of a t13 acceptance, but probably without much scholarship money.

Marialsatprep

New

Post by Marialsatprep » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 am

sparkytrainer wrote:Impossible to know, but your GPA is bad. Usually with a GPA that bad, you are looking at needing a 170+ given you are an URM. If you weren't an URM, you would need a 175+ to have a shot at the t13.

But this is all before the recent reports of LSAT takers being up 20% or more and the biglaw market is down in hiring 25%. It means law schools are getting more competitive and expensive (less scholarships going around) while the legal market is appearing like its starting to scale down.

Given that plus your awful GPA, you need a 170 or higher to even have a shot of a t13 acceptance, but probably without much scholarship money.

Yea my GPA is crap! I got a 155 cold, with a -4 on LG and -7 on RC so I am hoping with lots of work I will get in the 170's

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:47 am

Yeah, definitely knew a guy with a 170 and a 2.6 GPA... whiter than white... and he got in years ago when 170 wasn't considered as high as it is now. So what the guy responding just said is total BS. But it's hard to say exactly what you will need to get into a decent law school with your GPA, and even harder to say what your URM status will do to give you a boost. One thing that is for certain is that you will need to get that LSAT way up there, and that it is very doable.

Good luck!

Marialsatprep

New

Post by Marialsatprep » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks!

Anyone else.?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:57 pm

To properly answer your question, we'd need to know what undergraduate institution you attend, what your major is, how your GPA compares to the average GPA of your major, and what ability you have to get meaningful letters of recommendation from your undergrad professors given your GPA.
Notably, if you are an engineering major or a science major and your GPA is not that far below the average GPA for your major, then a 163-165 may be sufficient to get into the bottom half of the T13. If, however, you are a political science major at an undergraduate institution with a weak academic reputation and an average major GPA of 3.7, then you'll probably need to score above 170 on the LSAT to have a chance.

Provide more information and we can give you a better answer.

Marialsatprep

New

Post by Marialsatprep » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:23 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:To properly answer your question, we'd need to know what undergraduate institution you attend, what your major is, how your GPA compares to the average GPA of your major, and what ability you have to get meaningful letters of recommendation from your undergrad professors given your GPA.
Notably, if you are an engineering major or a science major and your GPA is not that far below the average GPA for your major, then a 163-165 may be sufficient to get into the bottom half of the T13. If, however, you are a political science major at an undergraduate institution with a weak academic reputation and an average major GPA of 3.7, then you'll probably need to score above 170 on the LSAT to have a chance.

Provide more information and we can give you a better answer.

Thank you.

ASU, liberal studies.

My problem isn't really my GPA as a whole, but four F's that I have from many many years ago when I wasn't taking school seriously and retook those classes. However from my understanding those will be factored into my GPA for law school admissions. My GPA without calculation the F's is much much higher since it's a total of 20 units.

Now this is a very atypical situation because I don't have my BA yet and I am trying to understand whether it's worth it to try to get the GPA to a 3.0 (would require straight A's and extra classes- I have gotten straight A's since I decided to take school seriously but it leaves me no room for anything under). Or if I should focus on getting a 170 plus. My cold score is 155 and I find the LSAT very fun so I'd rather put my time into it. I can also do any major, I just don't know what is the best approach. Ultimately, I want to be a lawyer.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 am

Well, admission offices place significant weight on upward grade trend so you may be far better off than your initial post suggested. With your four Fs being early on I suspect your second and third year GPA may be within the 25-75% range for some T14 schools and comparable to the average GPA for your major. Also ASU is a quality school so no issues there.

Assuming that none of the Fs involve any honor code type issues, I think the following is your best path to a T14 school: (1) maintain a GPA in the remainder of your undergrad years that continues an overall upward grade trend or at least stays equal with your most recent semesters; (2) score 165 on the LSAT; (3) write a supplemental statement explaining the early Fs and how you've matured as a student.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”